Document Type : Research Paper
Professor of Sport Injuries, Isfahan University
Teacher at Payam-E Noor University
Assistant Professor of Sport Injuries, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman
This study aimed to reviewe effects of The 11+ program on injury, injury prevention, performances and muscle activity in soccer player. A comprehensive review by one of the researchers was performed in Springer, Science Direct, Pubmed, in English and in SID and Magiran in persion language (2008-2016). Totally, there was a significantly lower risk of injuries within 30% to 70% acute and overuse injuries after performed the 11+. The 11+ enhanced knee strength, H/Q strength ratio, proprioception, balance, core stability in soccer players. About performance, 2 articles showed improvement and 1 no in sprint. It improved dribbling, kicking, jump height and agility. It can increase activity of core stability and hip abductor muscles. It can be suggested that the 11+ could be incorporated into regular soccer practice as a warm-up program before starting technical and tactical drills instead of traditional warm-up program.
- Manual 11+. FIFA Medical assessment and research centre; 2012. Available from: http://www.f marc.com/downloads/workbook/11plus workbook e.pdf.
- Krustrup P, Aagaard P, Nybo L, Petersen J, Mohr M, Bangsbo J Recreational football as a health promoting activity: A topical review. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2010; 20(1): 1-13.
- Krustrup P, Hansen P R, Andersen L J, Jakobsen M D, Sundstrup E, Randers M B, et al. Long-term musculoskeletal and cardiac health effects of recreational football and running for premenopausal women. Scand J Med Sci Sport. 2010; 20(1): 58-71.
- Rahnama N, Reilly T, Lees A. Injury risk associated with playing actions during competitive soccer. Brit J Sport Med. 2002; 36(5): 354-9. (In Persian).
- Rahnama N. Prevention of football injuries. Int J Prev Med. 2011; 2(1): 38-40. (In Persian).
- Drawer S, Fuller C W. Evaluating the level of injury in English professional football using a risk based assessment process. Brit J Sport Med. 2002; 36(6): 446-51.
- Dvorak J. Osteoarthritis in football: FIFA/ F-MARC approach. Br J Sports Med. 2011; 45: 673-6.
- Woods C, Hawkins R, Hulse M, Hodson A. The football association medical research programme: An audit of injuries in professional football-Analysis of preseason injuries. Brit J Sport Med. 2002; 36: 436-41.
- Junge A, Lamprecht M, Stamm H, Hasler H, Bizzini M, Tschopp M, et al. Countrywide campaign to prevent soccer injuries in Swiss amateur players. Am J Sport Med. 2011; 39: 57-63.
- Rahnama N, Lees A, Bambaecichi E. A comparison of muscle strength and flexibility between the preferred and non-preferred leg in English soccer players. Ergonomics. 2005; 48: 1568-75. (In Persian).
- Klugl M, Shrier I, McBain K, Shultz R, Meeuwisse W, Garza D, et al. The prevention of sport injury: An analysis of 12000 published manuscripts. Clin J Sport Med. 2010; 20: 407-12.
- Zarei M, Alizadeh M H, Rahnama N, Seifbarghi T, Samadi H. The effects of the FIFA Comprehensive Warm up Program “11+” on dynamic balance among adolescence male soccer players. Sport Med Studi. 2014; 6(15): 29-42. (In Persian).
- Soligard T, Myklebust G, Steffen K, Holme I, Silvers H, Bizzini M, et al. Comprehensive Warm-up Programme to prevent injuries in young female footballers: Cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2008; 337: a2469.
- Owoeye O B, Akinbo S R, Tella B A, Olawale A. Efficacy of the FIFA 11+ Warm-up Programme in male youth football: A cluster randomised controlled trial. J Sports Sci Med. 2014; 13: 321-8.
- Silvers H, Mandelbaum B R, Adeniji O, Dvorak J. The efficacy of the FIFA 11+ program in the collegiate male soccer players (USA). Brit J Sport Med. 2014; 48: 662.
- Steffen K, Emery C A, Romiti M, Kang J, Bizzini M, Dvorak J, et al. High adherence to a neuromuscular injury prevention programme (FIFA 11+) improves functional balance and reduces injury risk in Canadian youth female football players: A cluster randomized trial. Brit J Sport Med. 2013; 47: 794-802.
- Bizzini M, Impellizzeri F M, Dvorak J, Bortolan L, Schena F,Modena R, et al. Physiological and performance responses to the “FIFA 11+” (part 1): Is it an appropriate Warm up? J Sport Sci. 2013; 31: 1481-90.
- Impellizzeri F M, Bizzini M, Dvorak J, Pellegrini B, Schena F, Junge A. Physiological and performance responses to the FIFA 11+ (Part 2): A randomised controlled trial on the training effects. J Sport Sci. 2013; 31: 1491-502.
- Soligard T, Nilstad A, Steffen K, Myklebust G, Holme I, Dvorak J, et al. Compliance with a Comprehensive Warm-up Programme to prevent injuries in youth football. Brit J Sport Med. 2010; 44: 787-93.
- Brito J, Figueiredo P, Fernandes L, Seabra A, Soares J M, Krustrup P, et al. Isokinetic strength effects of FIFA's the 11+ injury prevention training programme. Isokinet Exerc Sci.2010; 18: 211-5.
- Hammes D, Fünten K A D, Kaiser S, Frisen E, Bizzini M, Meyer T. Injury prevention in male veteran football players–a randomized controlled trial using “FIFA 11+”. J Sport Sci.2015; 33(9): 873-81.
- Grooms D R, Palmer T, Onate J A, Myer G D. Soccer-specific Warm-up and lower extremity injury rates in collegiate male soccer players. J Athl Train. 2013; 48: 782-9.
- Steffen K, Meeuwisse W H, Romiti M, Kang J, McKay C,Bizzini M, et al. Evaluation of how different implementation strategies of an injury prevention programme (FIFA 11+) impact team adherence and injury risk in Canadian female youth football players: A cluster-randomised trial. Brit J Sport Med. 2013; 47: 480-7.
- Whittaker J, Emery C A. The impact of the FIFA 11+ on the structure of select trunk and lower extremity muscles in adolescent female footballers. Brit J Sport Med. 2014; 48: 671.
- Daneshjoo A, Mokhtar A H, Rahnama N, Yusof A. The effects of Comprehensive Warm-up Programs on proprioception, static and dynamic balance on male soccer players. PLoS One. 2012; 7: e51568. (In Persian).
- Daneshjoo A, Mokhtar A H, Rahnama N, Yusof A. The effects of injury preventive Warm-up Programs on knee strength ratio in young male professional soccer players. PLoS One. 2012; 7: e50979. (In Persian).
- Daneshjoo A, Mokhtar A H, Rahnama N, Yusof A. Effects of the 11+ and Harmoknee Warm-up Programs on physical performance measures in professional soccer players. J Sports Sci Med. 2013; 12: 489-96. (In Persian).
- Daneshjoo A, Mokhtar A, Rahnama N, Yusof A. The effects of injury prevention Warm-up Programmes on knee strength in male soccer players. Biol Sport. 2013; 30: 281-8. (In Persian).
- Daneshjoo A, Rahnama N, Mokhtar A H, Yusof A. Effectiveness of injury prevention programs on developing quadriceps and hamstrings strength of young male professional soccer players. J Hum Kinet. 2013; 39: 115-25. (In Persian).
- Sadeghipour H R, Rahnam N, Daneshjoo A, Bambaeichi E. The effect of FIFA 11+ injury prevention program on hamstrings and quadriceps isometric muscle strength in Iranian young professional soccer players. J Res Rehabil Sci. 2012; 8(5): 1113-22. (In Persian).
- Saho Y, Haruyasu K, Nakahori C, Matsuda T, Nakajo S, Shimada M, et al. The efficacy of Comprehensive Warm-up Program in male adolescent football players. Brit J Sport Med. 2014; 48(7): 655-6.
- Nakase J, Inaki A, Mochizuki T, Toratani T, Kosaka M, Ohashi Y, et al. Whole body muscle activity during the FIFA 11+ program evaluated by positron emission tomography. PLoS One. 2013; 8 (9): e73898.
- Zarei M, Alizadeh Sh. FIFA 11+ Warm-up Program reduce injuries incidence rate in Iranian young male soccer players. Sport Med Studi. 2015; 7(17): 35-50. (In Persian).
- Zarei M, Alizadeh M H, Alizadeh Sh. The effect of FIFA comprehensive Warm up Program “11+” for the prevention of ankle injuries in soccer players: A prospective randomized controlled trial. J Res Rehabil Sci. 2015; 11(2): 216-29. (In Persian).
- Zarei M, Alizadeh M H, Rahnama N, Seif-Barghi T. The effect of FIFA Warm-up Comprehensive Program 11+ on performance and physical fitness of Iranian adolescent male soccer players. J Sport Med. 2016; 8(1): 1-22. (In Persian).
- Barengo N C, Meneses-Echavez J F, Ramirez-Velez R, Cohen D D, Tovar G, et al. The impact of the FIFA 11+ training program on injury prevention in football players: A systematic review. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2014; 11: 1986-2000.
- Steffen K, Bakka H, Myklebust G, Bahr R. Performance aspects of an injury prevention program: A ten-week intervention in adolescent female football players. Scand J Med Sci Sport. 2008; 18(5): 596-604.
- Walden M, Atroshi I, Magnusson H, Wagner P, Hagglund M. Prevention of acute knee injuries in adolescent female football players: Cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2012; 344: 344:e3042.
- Kiani A, Hellquist E, Ahlqvist K, Gedeborg R, Michaelsson K. Prevention of soccer-related knee injuries in teenaged girls. Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 43-9. (In Persian).
- Faude O, Rossler R, Junge A. Football injuries in children and adolescent players: Are there clues for prevention? Sports Med. 2013; 43: 819-37.
- Rossler R, Donath L, Verhagen E, Junge A, Schweizer T, Faude O. Exercise-based injury prevention in child and adolescent sport: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Sports Med. 2014; 44: 1733-48.
- Bizzini M, Junge A, Bahr R, Helsen W, Dvorak J. Injuries and musculoskeletal complaints in referees and assistant referees selected for the 2006 FIFA World Cup: Retrospective and prospective survey. Brit J Sport Med. 2009; 43: 490-7.
- Bizzini M, Junge A, Bahr R, Dvorak J. Injuries of football referees: A representative survey of Swiss referees officiating at all levels of play. Scand J Med Sci Sport. 2011; 21: 42-7.
- Bizzini M, Dvorak J. FIFA 11+: An effective programme to prevent football injuries in various player groups worldwide—a narrative review. Brit J Sport Med. 2015; 49: 577-79.
- Daneshjoo A, Rahnama N, Mokhtar A H, Yusof A. Bilateral and unilateral asymmetries of isokinetic strength and flexibility in male young professional soccer players. J Hum Kinet. 2013; 36: 45‐53. (In Persian).
- Agel J, Arendt E A, Bershadsky B. Anterior cruciate ligament injury in national collegiate athletic association basketball and soccer. Am J Sport Med. 2005; 33(4): 524-31.
- Shojaei M, Daneshjoo A, Rahnama N. Effects of harmoknee injury prevention training program on knee isometric strength of young professional male soccer players. J Res Rehabil Sci. 2011; 7(4): 446-54. (In Persian).
- Parulyte D, Masiulis N, Aleknaviciute V, Solianik R, Dargeviciute G, Skurvydas A, et al. Knee muscle torque and H:Q ratio changes before ACL surgery and after rehabilitation. Ugdymas Kuno Kultura. 2011; 2: 38-44.
- Hubscher M, Zech A, Pfeifer K, Ha¨nsel F, Vogt L, Banzer W. Neuromuscular training for sports injury prevention: A systematic review. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010; 42: 413-21.
- Holm I, Fosdahl M A, Friis A, Risberg M A, Myklebust G, Steen H. Effect of neuromuscular training on proprioception, balance, muscle strength, and lower limb function in female team handball players. Clin J Sport Med. 2004; 14(2): 88-94.
- Subasi S S, Gelecek N, Aksakoglu G. Effects of different Warm-up periods on knee proprioception and balance in healthy young individuals. J Sport Rehab. 2008; 17: 186-205.
- McLeod T, Armstrong T, Miller M, Sauers J L. Balance improvements in female high school basketball players after a 6-week neuromuscular-training program. J Sport Rehab. 2009; 18(4): 465-81.
- Verhagen E, van der Beek A J, Twisk J W R, Bahr R, Bouter L M, van Mechelen W. The effect of a proprioceptive balance board training program for the prevention of ankle sprains, a prospective controlled trial. Am J Sport Med. 2004; 32: 1385-93.
- Paterno M V, Myer G D, Ford K R, Hewett T E. Neuromuscular training improves single-limb stability in young female athletes. J Orthop Sport Phys. 2004; 34(6): 305-16.
- Davlin-Pater C. The effects of visual information and perceptual style on static and dynamic balance. Motor Control. 2010; 14: 362-70.
- Hupperets M D, Verhagen E A, Mechelen W V. Effect of unsupervised home based proprioceptive training on recurrences of ankle sprain: Randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2009; 339: b2684.
- Mohammadi F. Comparison of 3 preventive methods to reduce the recurrence of ankle inversion sprains in male soccer players. Am J Sports Med. 2007; 35(6): 922-6. (In Persian).
- Soderman K, Werner S, Pietila T, Engstrom B, Alfredson H. Balance board training: Prevention of traumatic injuries of the lower extremities in female soccer players? A prospective randomized intervention study. Knee Surg Sport Tra.2000; 8: 356-63.
- Amiri-Khorasani M, Abu Osman N A, Yusof A. Acute effect of static and dynamic stretching on hip dynamic range of motion during instep kicking in professional soccer players. J Strength Cond Res. 2011; 25: 1647-52. (In Persian).
- Cometti G, Maffiuletti N A, Pousson M, Chatard J C, Maffulli N. Isokinetic strength and anaerobic power of elite, subelite and amateur French soccer players. Int J Sports Med.2001; 22(1): 45-51.
- Fradkin A J, Zazryn T R, Smoliga J M. Effects of Warming-up on physical performance: A systematic review with meta-analysis. J Strength Cond Res. 2010; 24(1): 140-8.
- Kilding A E, Tunstall H, Kuzmic D. Suitability of FIFA’s “The 11” training programme for young football players-impact on physical performance. J Sports Sci Med.2008; 7: 320-6.
- Simek Salaj S, Milanovic D, Jukic I. The effects of proprioceptive training on jumping and agility performance. Kinesiology. 2007; 39(2): 131-41.
- McCall A, Davison M, Andersen T E, Beasley I, Bizzini M, Dupont G, et al. Injury prevention strategies at the FIFA 2014 World Cup: Perceptions and practices of the physicians from the 32 participating national teams. Brit J Sport Med. 2015; 49: 603-8.
- McKay C D, Steffen K, Romiti M, Finch C F, Emery C A. The effect of coach and player injury knowledge, attitudes and beliefs on adherence to the FIFA 11+ programme in female youth soccer. Brit J Sport Med. 2014; 48: 1281-6.
- Ekstrand J. Keeping your top players on the pitch: The key to football medicine at the professional level. Brit J Sport Med. 2013; 47: 723-4.