Document Type : Research Paper
Ph.D. Student of Corrective Exercises and Sports Injuries, Kharazmi University
Associate Professor of Corrective Exercises and Sports Injuries, Kharazmi University
Professor of Physiotherapy, Iran University of Medical Sciences
Associate Professor of Sport Medicine, Shahid Rajaee Teacher Training University of Tehran
Professor of Biomechanic, Sharif University of Technology
The present study was done to evaluate the effectiveness of some kinetic and kinematic features of healthy athletes during increased heel strike pattern. This case-control study was carried out on 13 professional healthy male athletes in two positions of normal and increased heel strike gait patterns. Range of motion, knee and ankle joint torque and vertical ground reaction force measured by the Kistler and Vicon motion analysis system. Results showed that increased heel strike compare to normal level walking caused significantly reduced knee flexion angle at the moment of heel contact and stance phase, mean values of external rotational and adductor knee moments. In addition, increased ankle dorsiflexion during midstance was significantly high in increase heel strike pattern compare to usual pattern. It seems that increased heel strike pattern decreases knee mechanical loading and more importantly, increasing elasticity of gastrocnemius-soleus muscles provided by heel strike pattern.
- Mavčič B, Slivnik T, Antolič V, Iglič A, Kralj-Iglič V. High contact hip stress is related to the development of hip pathology with increasing age. Clin Biomech. 2004;19(9):939-43.
- Dixon JB. Gastrocnemius vs. soleus strain: How to differentiate and deal with calf muscle injuries. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2009;2(2):74-7.
- Mason-Mackay A, Whatman C, Reid D. The effect of reduced ankle dorsiflexion on lower extremity mechanics during landing: A systematic review. J Sci Med Sport. 2017; 20(5):451-8.
- Didier JJ, West VA. Vertical jumping and landing mechanics: female athletes and nonathletes. Int J Athl Ther Trai.2011;16(6):17-20.
- You J-Y, Lee H-M, Luo H-J, Leu C-C, Cheng P-G, Wu S-K. Gastrocnemius tightness on joint angle and work of lower extremity during gait. Clin Biomech. 2009;24(9):744-50.
- Yoon J-y, Hwang Y-i, An D-h, Oh J-s. Changes in kinetic, kinematic, and temporal parameters of walking in people with limited ankle dorsiflexion: Pre-post application of modified mobilization with movement using talus glide taping. J Manip Physiol Ther. 2014;37(5):320-5.
- Piva SR, Goodnite EA, Childs JD. Strength around the hip and flexibility of soft tissues in individuals with and without patellofemoral pain syndrome. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2005;35(12):793-801.
- Mauntel TC, Begalle RL, Cram TR, Frank BS, Hirth CJ, Blackburn T, et al. The effects of lower extremity muscle activation and passive range of motion on single leg squat performance. J Strength Cond Res. 2013;27(7):1813-23.
- Macrum E, Robert Bell D, Boling M, Lewek M, Padua D. Effect of limiting ankle-dorsiflexion range of motion on lower extremity kinematics and muscle-activation patterns during a squat. J Sport Rehabil. 2012;21(2):144-50.
- Paoloni M, Mangone M, Fratocchi G, Murgia M, Saraceni VM, Santilli V. Kinematic and kinetic features of normal level walking in patellofemoral pain syndrome: More than a sagittal plane alteration. J Biomech. 2010;43(9):1794-8.
- Bell DR, Vesci BJ, DiStefano LJ, Guskiewicz KM, Hirth CJ, Padua DA. Muscle activity and flexibility in individuals with medial knee displacement during the overhead squat. Athl Train Sports Health Care. 2012;4(3):117-25.
- Wang L-I. Lower extremity stiffness modulation: Effect of impact load of a landing task from different drop heights. Int Sportmed J. 2009;10(4):186-93.
- Norcross MF, Lewek MD, Padua DA, Shultz SJ, Weinhold PS, Blackburn JT. Lower extremity energy absorption and biomechanics during landing, part I: sagittal-plane energy absorption analyses. J Athl Training. 2013;48(6):748-56.
- Davids K, Glazier P, Araujo D, Bartlett R. Movement systems as dynamical systems. Sports Med. 2003;33(4):245-60.
- Hamill J, Palmer C, Van Emmerik RE. Coordinative variability and overuse injury. Sports Med Arthrosc Rehabil Ther Technol. 2012;4(1):1-9.
- Lewis CL, Garibay EJ. Effect of increased pushoff during gait on hip joint forces. J Biomech. 2015;48(1):181-5.
- Sahrmann S. Movement system impairment syndromes of the extremities, cervical and thoracic spines. Mosby: Elsevier Health Sciences. 2010;1-34.
- Kuhman DJ, Paquette MR, Peel SA, Melcher DA. Comparison of ankle kinematics and ground reaction forces between prospectively injured and uninjured collegiate cross country runners. Hum Mov Sci. 2016;47:9-15.
- Noehren B, Schmitz A, Hempel R, Westlake C, Black W. Assessment of strength, flexibility, and running mechanics in men with iliotibial band syndrome. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2014;44(3):217-22.
- Grieve R, Barnett S, Coghill N, Cramp F. Myofascial trigger point therapy for triceps surae dysfunction: A case series. Man Ther. 2013;18(6):519-25.
- Grieve R, Cranston A, Henderson A, John R, Malone G, Mayall C. The immediate effect of triceps surae myofascial trigger point therapy on restricted active ankle joint dorsiflexion in recreational runners: A crossover randomised controlled trial. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2013;17(4):453-61.
- Johanson M, Baer J, Hovermale H, Phouthavong P. Subtalar joint position during gastrocnemius stretching and ankle dorsiflexion range of motion. J Athl Training. 2008;43(2):172.
- Mercer JA, Horsch S. Heel–toe running: A new look at the influence of foot strike pattern on impact force. J Exerc Sci Fit. 2015;13(1):29-34.
- Zajac FE, Neptune RR, Kautz SA. Biomechanics and muscle coordination of human walking: Part I: Introduction to concepts, power transfer, dynamics and simulations. Gait Posture. 2002;16(3):215-32.
- Meireles S, De Groote F, Reeves N, Verschueren S, Maganaris C, Luyten F, et al. Knee contact forces are not altered in early knee osteoarthritis. Gait Posture. 2016;45:115-20.
- Mündermann A, Asay JL, Mündermann L, Andriacchi TP. Implications of increased medio-lateral trunk sway for ambulatory mechanics. J Biomech. 2008;41(1):165-70.