Document Type : Research Paper
M.Sc. student of Sports Injuries and Corrective Exercises, University of Tehran
Assistant Professor of Sport Biomechanic, University of Tehran
Associate Professor of Sports Injuries and Corrective Exercises, University of Tehran
The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of core muscles functional fatigue on some of kinematics parameters related to ACL injury during cutting maneuver. A number of college student athletes' soccer athletes, including 24 persons in two experimental (n=13) and control (n=11) groups participated in the study. Cutting maneuvers were recorded by motion analysis system using six Vicon high-speed cameras, with a frequency of 240Hz. Movements were analyzed by Nexus software and joint angles (knee flexion, knee valgus and tibia rotation with respect to femur at the moment of heel contact and the maximum amount of knee flexion, knee valgus and tibia rotation with respect to femur at the first 50% stance phase) were collected. SPSS and paired T-Test and ANCOVA were used to comparing two groups. The results indicated that core muscles functional fatigue was affected on ACL injury risk factors during cutting maneuver.
- Cowling EJ, Steele JR. Is lower limb muscle synchrony during landing affected by gender? Implications for variations in ACL injury rates. J Electromyogr Kines. 2001;11(4):263-8.
- Hewett TE, Lindenfeld TN, Riccobene JV, Noyes FR. The effect of neuromuscular training on the incidence of knee injury in female athletes a prospective study. Am J Sport Med. 1999;27(6):699-706.
- Kessler M, Behrend H, Henz S, Stutz G, Rukavina A, Kuster M. Function, osteoarthritis and activity after ACL-rupture: 11 years follow-up results of conservative versus reconstructive treatment. Knee Surg Sport Tr A. 2008;16(5):442-8.
- Quatman CE, Hewett TE. The anterior cruciate ligament injury controversy: Is “valgus collapse” a sex-specific mechanism? Brit J Sport Med. 2009;43(5):328-35.
- Ireland ML. Anterior cruciate ligament injury in female athletes: Epidemiology. J Athl Training. 1999;34(2):150-4.
- Boden BP, Dean GS, Feagin JA, Garrett WE. Mechanisms of anterior cruciate ligament injury. Orthopedics. 2000;23(6):573-8.
- Zazulak BT, Hewett TE, Reeves NP, Goldberg B, Cholewicki J. Deficits in neuromuscular control of the trunk predict knee injury risk a prospective biomechanical-epidemiologic study. Am J Sport Med. 2007;35(7):1123-30.
- Bouisset S. Relationship between postural support and intentional movement: biomechanical approach. Arch Int Physiol Bio. 1991;99(5):77-92.
- Hodges PW, Richardson CA. Contraction of the abdominal muscles associated with movement of the lower limb. Phys Ther. 1997;77(2):132-42.
- Hodges P, Richardson C. Feedforward contraction of transversus abdominis is not influenced by the direction of arm movement. Exp Brain Res. 1997;114(2):362-70.
- Kibler WB, Press J, Sciascia A. The role of core stability in athletic function. Sport Med. 2006;36(3):189-98.
- Willson JD, Dougherty CP, Ireland ML, Davis IM. Core stability and its relationship to lower extremity function and injury. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2005;13(5):316-25.
- Zazulak BT, Hewett TE, Reeves NP, Goldberg B, Cholewicki J. The effects of core proprioception on knee injury a prospective biomechanical-epidemiological study. Am J Sports Med. 2007;35(3):368-73.
- Leetun DT, Ireland ML, Willson JD, Ballantyne BT, Davis IM. Core stability measures as risk factors for lower extremity injury in athletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004;36(6):926-34.
- Earl JE, Hoch AZ. A proximal strengthening program improves pain, function, and biomechanics in women with patellofemoral pain syndrome. Am J Sports Med. 2011;39(1):154-63.
- Paillard T. Effects of general and local fatigue on postural control: A review. Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews. NEUROSCI BIOBEHAV R. 2012;36(1):162-76.
- Daniusevičiūtė L, Brazaitis M, Linonis V. Sex differences in lower landing kinematics through neuromuscular fatigue. Meccanica. 2013;19(5):606-10.
- Kim H, Son S, Seeley M, Hopkins J. Functional fatigue alters lower-extremity neuromechanics during a forward-side Jump. Int J Sports Med. 2015;36(14):1192-200.
- Murphy EN, Lorrie R, David N. Abdominal fatigue and lower extremity kinematics during a drop landing in females. Western Washington University; 2015.
- Carcia C, Eggen J, Shultz S. Hip-abductor fatigue, frontal-plane landing angle, and excursion during a drop jump. J Sport Rehabil. 2005;14(4):321-31.
- Geiser C, O'Connor KM, Earl JE. Effects of isolated hip abductor fatigue on frontal plane knee mechanics. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010.
- Patrek MF, Kernozek TW, Willson JD, Wright GA, Doberstein ST. Hip-abductor fatigue and single-leg landing mechanics in women athletes. J Athl Train. 2011;46(1):31-42.
- Thomas A, Palmieri R, Smith R, McLean S. Isolated hip and ankle fatigue are unlikely risk factors for anterior cruciate ligament injury. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2011;21(3):359-68.
- Hewett TE, Myer GD, Ford KR, Heidt RS, Colosimo AJ, McLean SG, et al. Biomechanical measures of neuromuscular control and valgus loading of the knee predict anterior cruciate ligament injury risk in female athletes a prospective study. Am J Sport Med. 2005;33(4):492-501.
- Greig M. The influence of soccer-specific activity on the kinematics of an agility sprint. Eur J Sport Sci. 2009;9(1):23-33.
- Dorni hamedani P, Seidi F, Rajabi R. Effect of the core functional muscles fatigue on postural sway of Collegiate female athletes. Tehran: jsmed; 2014. (In Persian).
- Sell TC, Ferris CM, Abt JP, Tsai YS, Myers JB, Fu FH, et al. Predictors of proximal tibia anterior shear force during a vertical stop jump. J Orthop Res. 2007;25(12):1589-97.
- Yu B, Lin C-F, Garrett WE. Lower extremity biomechanics during the landing of a stop-jump task. Clin Biomech. 2006;21(3):297-305.
- Nilstad A, Andersen TE, Bahr R, Holme I, Steffen K. Risk factors for lower extremity injuries in elite female soccer players. Am J Sports Med. 2014:42(4): 940-8.
- Blackburn JT, Padua DA. Influence of trunk flexion on hip and knee joint kinematics during a controlled drop landing. Clin Biomech. 2008;23(3):313-9.
- Akuthota V, Nadler SF. Core strengthening. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004;85: 86-92.
- Hodges PW. Core stability exercise in chronic low back pain. Orthop Clin North Am. 2003;34(2):245-54.
- Abt JP, Smoliga JM, Brick MJ, Jolly JT, Lephart SM, Fu FH. Relationship between cycling mechanics and core stability. J Strength Cond Res. 2007;21(4):1300-4.
- Taimela S, Kankaanpää M, Luoto S. The effect of lumbar fatigue on the ability to sense a change in lumbar position: a controlled study. Spine J. 1999;24(13):1322-7.
- Ireland ML, Willson JD, Ballantyne BT, Davis IM. Hip strength in females with and without patellofemoral pain. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2003;33(11):671-6.
- Jamison ST, Pan X, Chaudhari AM. Knee moments during run-to-cut maneuvers are associated with lateral trunk positioning. J Biomech. 2012;45(11):1881-5.
- Hewett TE, Myer GD, Ford KR. Anterior cruciate ligament injuries in female athletes part 1, mechanisms and risk factors. Am J Sports Med. 2006;34(2):299-311.
- Ochsendorf DT, Mattacola CG, Arnold BL. Effect of orthotics on postural sway after fatigue of the plantar flexors and dorsiflexors. J Athl Train. 2000;35(1):26-30.
- Lloyd DG, Buchanan TS. Strategies of muscular support of varus and valgus isometric loads at the human knee. J Biomech. 2001;34(10):1257-67.
- Hollman JH, Ginos BE, Kozuchowski J, Vaughn AS, Krause DA, Youdas JW. Relationships between knee valgus, hip-muscle strength, and hip-muscle recruitment during a single-limb step-down. J Sport Rehabi. 2009;18(1):104-17.