Document Type : Research Paper
Ph.D.student in sport biomechanics, Faculty of Physical Education &amp; Sport Sciences, University of Manzandaran, Babolsar, Iran.
university of mazandaran
It seems to etiology, diagnosis of sports injuries, and evaluation of their treatment process for rehabilitation need the measurement of strength, flexibility and alignments of limbs. These measures are only useful when there are sufficient reference values for comparing. The aim of this study was to find out normative values of strength, flexibility, and alignment in lower limbs in recreational runners. 73 healthy runners with an average weight of 73.13(7.10) Kg, height of 177.70(5.39), age of 22.58(3.76) from Mazandaran province participated in this study. Their strength, flexibility and alignments of lower limbs were measured. Strength was normalized to weight. Values more than -2 standard deviations for flexibility and strength and between ±2 standard deviations for alignment were chosen as normative values. Some results of this study were: the mean of hip muscle extensor strength was 0.52 of body weight. In addition, hip external rotation ROM and Q angle mean were 63and 13.15 degree respectively. It seems that our finding (the normative values of aforementioned parameters) provides functional information for rehabilitation and improvement of sport performance.
- Silder A, Thelen DG, Heiderscheit BC. Effects of prior hamstring strain injury on strength, flexibility, and running mechanics. Clinical Biomechanics. 2010;25(7):681-6.
- Ferber R, Macdonald S. Running mechanics and gait analysis. Human Kinetics. 2014:1-27.
- Fredericson M, Cookingham CL, Chaudhari AM, Dowdell BC, Oestreicher N, Sahrmann SA. Hip abductor weakness in distance runners with iliotibial band syndrome. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine. 2000;10(3):169-75.
- Niemuth PE, Johnson RJ, Myers MJ, Thieman TJ. Hip muscle weakness and overuse injuries in recreational runners. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine. 2005;15(1):14-21.
- Baggaley M, Noehren B, Clasey JL, Shapiro R, Pohl MB. Frontal plane kinematics of the hip during running: Are they related to hip anatomy and strength? Gait Posture. 2015;42(4):505-10.
- Snyder KR, Earl JE, O’Connor KM, Ebersole KT. Resistance training is accompanied by increases in hip strength and changes in lower extremity biomechanics during running. Clinical Biomechanics. 2009;24(1):26-34.
- Lee SP, Powers CM. Individuals with diminished hip abductor muscle strength exhibit altered ankle biomechanics and neuromuscular activation during unipedal balance tasks. Gait Posture. 2014;39(3):933-8.
- You JY, Lee HM, Luo HJ, Leu CC, Cheng PG, Wu SK. Gastrocnemius tightness on joint angle and work of lower extremity during gait. Clinical Biomechanics. 2009 Nov 1;24(9):744-750.
- Meldrum D, Cahalane E, Conroy R, Fitzgerald D, Hardiman O. Maximum voluntary isometric contraction: reference values and clinical application. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. 2007;8(1):47-55.
- Sengupta P, De S, Pal A, Maity P, Banerjee M, Dhara PC. Variation of range of joint motion in Bengalee (Indian) healthy adult subjects. Journal of Life Sciences. 2012;4(2):123-33.
- Mizuno Y, Kumagai M, Mattessich SM, Elias JJ, Ramrattan N, Cosgarea AJ, et al. Q-angle influences tibiofemoral and patellofemoral kinematics. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 2001;19(5):834-40.
- DeHaven KE, Lintner DM. Athletic injuries: Comparison by age, sport, and gender. Am J Sport Med. 1986;14(3):218-24.
- Messier SP, Davis SE, Curl WW, Lowery RB, Pack RJ. Etiologic factors associated with patellofemoral pain in runners. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 1991;23(9):1008-15.
- Almeida SA, Trone DW, Leone DM, Shaffer RA, Patheal SL, Long K. Gender differences in musculoskeletal injury rates: A function of symptom reporting?. Medicine and science in sports and exercise. 1999;31(12):1807-12.
- Rauh MJ, Koepsell TD, Rivara FP, Rice SG, Margherita AJ. Quadriceps angle and risk of injury among high school cross-country runners. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2007;37(12):725-33.
- Souza RB, Powers CM. Predictors of hip internal rotation during running: an evaluation of hip strength and femoral structure in women with and without patellofemoral pain. Am J Sport Med. 2009;37(3):579-87.
- Phinyomark A, Osis S, Hettinga BA, Ferber R. Kinematic gait patterns in healthy runners: A hierarchical cluster analysis. Journal of biomechanics. 2015;48(14):3897-904.
- Chau T. A review of analytical techniques for gait data. Part 1: fuzzy, statistical and fractal methods. Gait Posture. 2001;13(1):49-66.
- Federolf P, Tecante K, Nigg B. A holistic approach to study the temporal variability in gait. Journal of biomechanics. 2012;45(7):1127-32.
- Fukuchi RK, Stefanyshyn DJ, Stirling L, Duarte M, Ferber R. Flexibility, muscle strength and running biomechanical adaptations in older runners. Clinical Biomechanics. 2014;29(3):304-10.
- H allaçel H, Uruç V, Uysal HH, Özden R, HallAçeli Į, Soyuer F, et al. Normal hip, knee and ankle range of motion in the Turkish population. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2014;48(1):37-42.
- Handa VL, Lockhart ME, Fielding JR, Bradley CS, Brubakery L, Cundiffy GW, et al. Racial differences in pelvic anatomy by magnetic resonance imaging. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2008;111(4):914-920.
- Stoll T, Huber E, Seifert B, Michel BA, Stucki G. Maximal isometric muscle strength: normative values and gender-specific relation to age. Clinical Rheumatology. 2000;19(2):105-13.
- McKay MJ, Baldwin JN, Ferreira P, Simic M, Vanicek N, Burns J, et al. Normative reference values for strength and flexibility of 1,000 children and adults. Neurology. 2017;88(1):36-43.
- Omololu BB, Ogunlade OS, Gopaldasani VK. Normal Q-angle in an adult Nigerian population. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2009;467(8):2073-6.
- Hogrel JY, Payan CA, Ollivier G, Tanant V, Attarian S, Couillandre A, et al. Development of a French isometric strength normative database for adults using quantitative muscle testing. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 2007;88(10):1289-97.
- Park SK, Stefanyshyn DJ. Greater Q angle may not be a risk factor of patellofemoral pain syndrome. Clin Biomech. 2011;26(4):392-6.
- Wilson T, Kitsell F. Is the Q-angle an absolute or a variable measure? Physiotherapy. 2002;88(5):296-302.
- Andrews AW, Thomas MW, Bohannon RW. Normative values for isometric muscle force measurements obtained with hand-held dynamometers. Physical therapy. 1996;76(3):248-59.