Document Type : Research Paper
Shahid bahonar university
Professor of Sport Injuries, Faculty of Sport Science, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman
Associate Professor of Sport Injuries, Faculty of Sport Science, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman
In injury prevention researches as an important part of sport medicine studies, use of recording and surveillances’ system on athletes’ injuries requires fundamental concepts. We have aimed to review some terms such as sport injuries, injury intensity and exposure in articles due to variety and conflict results in definition them. The results showed that sport injury for athlete introduced as any muscular skeletal problem which can lead time lose or medical attention. Injury intensity as number of days’ loss or functional limitation in training and match have introduced. The best definition for exposure was injury per 1000 hours-exposure and 1000 athlete-exposures in training and match.
- Sahebozamani M, Beyranvand R. A review of injury assessment in Iranian martial artists: Systematic review. Scientific Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. (SJRM) 2016; 5(2):235-48. (In Persian).
- Rahnama N, Bambaeichi E, Nazariyan AB. Daneshjo A. Incidence and causes of acute injury among collegiate soccer players. Olympic. 20071386:38(15):39-47. (In Persian).
- Pakravan M, Sahebozamani M, Ghahramantabrizi K. Investigating the prevalence and causes of sport injuries among physical education students. Journal of Sport Medicin. (JSM), 20091388;2(1):81-94. (In Persian).
- Baher R, Hungerthosen L. Sports injury prevention guide. Trans Sahebozamani M, Rahnama N, Mohammadi H. Rahnama N. Tehran: Sports Sciences Research Institute, (SSRI), 20111391. p. 25-28. (In Persian).
- Dadgar H, Sahebozamani M, Noraei T, Sharifiyan E.The relationship between angular Q amount and noncontact injuries of lower limbs in male karateh. Journal of Sport Medicin. (JSM), 2009;1(3):83-97. (In Persian).
- van Mechelen W. Sports injury surveillance systems. 'One size fits all'? Sports Medicine (Auckland, NZ). 1997;24(3):164-8.
- Daneshjoo A, Mokhtar AH, Rahnama N, Yusof A. The effects of injury preventive warm-up programs on knee strength ratio in young male professional soccer players. PLoS ONE. 2012;7(12):e50979 . (In Persian).
- Sharifi M,Sahebozamani M, Ghahramantabrizi K.The relationship between the prevalence of injury and the performance of women in the Premier League against injury prevention strategies. Sport Medicine Studies (Sports Sciences Research Institute of Iran). (SSRII), 20101389;271(7):99-108. (In Persian).
- Daneshjoo A, Mokhtar A, Rahnama N, Toutouni M, Reisi J, Yusof A. The effects of injury prevention programs on anthropometric factors in professional male soccer players. Ann. Biol. Res, 2013; 46-50. (In Persian).
- Zemper ED. Fundamentals Of sport injury surveillance / establishing a sport injury. Surveillance system. 10th International Conference on Kinanthropology. Michigan State University, USA: Research College of Osteopathic Medicine; 2015.
- Beachy G. Dental injuries in intermediate and high school athletes: A 15-year study at Punahou School. Journal of Athletic Training. (JAT), 2004;39(4):310-5.
- Olsen L, Scanlan A, MacKay M, Babul S, Reid D, Clark M, et al. Strategies for prevention of soccer related injuries: a systematic review. British Journal of Sports Medicine. (BJSM), 2004;38(1):89-94.
- Hammond LE, Lilley JM, Ribbans WJ. Defining recovery: An overlooked criterion in sports injury surveillance. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine: Official Journal of the Canadian Academy of Sport Medicine. (CASM),2013;23(3):157-9.
- Wong P, Hong Y. Soccer injury in the lower extremities. Br J Sports Med. 2005;39(8):473-82.
- Palmer-Green D, Fuller C, Jaques R, Hunter G. The injury/illness performance project (IIPP): A novel epidemiological approach for recording the consequences of sports injuries and illnesses. Journal of Sports Medicine. (JSM), 2013; :9.
- Brooks J, Fuller C, Kemp S, Reddin D. Epidemiology of injuries in English professional rugby union: part 2 training Injuries. British Journal of Sports Medicine. (BJSM), 2005;39(10):767-75.
- Vanderlei FM, Bastos FN, Tsutsumi GYC, Vanderlei LCM, Júnior JN, Pastre CM. Characteristics and contributing factors related to sports injuries in young volleyball players. BMC Research Notes. 2013;6(1):415.
- Carvalho DAd. Orthopedic injuries in a formation of a soccer club. Revista Brasileira de Ortopedia. 2013;48(1):41-5.
- Lee JW-Y, Mok K-M, Chan HC-K, Yung PS-H, Chan K-M. A prospective epidemiological study of injury incidence and injury patterns in a Hong Kong male professional football league during the competitive season. Asia-Pacific Journal of Sports Medicine, Arthroscopy, Rehabilitation and Technology. (APSMART), 2014;1(4):119-25.
- Vanderlei FM, Vanderlei LCM, Bastos FN, Netto Júnior J, Pastre CM. Characteristics and associated factors with sports injuries among children and adolescents. Brazilian Journal of Physical Therapy. (BJPT), 2014;18:530-7.
- Hamilton B, Valle X, Rodas G, Til L, Pruna Grive R, Gutierrez Rincon JA, et al. Classification and grading of muscle injuries: A narrative review. British Journal of Sports Medicine. (BJSM), 2015;49(5):306.
- Ueblacker P, Müller-Wohlfahrt H-W, Ekstrand J. Epidemiological and clinical outcome comparison of indirect (‘strain’) versus direct (‘contusion’) anterior and posterior thigh muscle injuries in male elite football players: UEFA Elite League study of 2287 thigh injuries (2001–2013). British Journal of Sports Medicine. (BJSM),2015;49(22):1461-5.
- Llinás PJ, Serrano RF, Quintero Barrera L, Quiceno Noguera JC, Martinez Cano JP. Sports injuries and ill-health episodes in the Cali 2013 World Games. BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine. 2016;2(1).
- Del Coso J, Herrero H, Salinero JJ. Injuries in Spanish female soccer players. Journal of Sport and Health Science. (JSHS), 2016; 7(2):183-190
- Hägglund M, Waldén M, Bahr R, Ekstrand J. Methods for epidemiological study of injuries to professional football players: Developing the UEFA model. British Journal of Sports Medicine. (BJSM), 2005;39(6):340-6.
- Hodgson L, Gissane C, Gabbett TJ, King DA. For debate: Consensus injury definitions in team sports should focus on encompassing all injuries. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine.( CJSM), 2007;17(3):188-91.
- Kerr ZY, Quigley A, Yeargin SW, Lincoln AE, Mensch J, Caswell SV, et al. The epidemiology of NCAA men's lacrosse injuries, 2009/10-2014/15 academic years. Injury epidemiology. 2017;4(1):6.
- Bahr R. No injuries, but plenty of pain? On the methodology for recording overuse symptoms in sports. British Journal of Sports Medicine. (BJSM), 2009;43(13):966-72.
- Varkiani ME, Alizadeh MH, Pourkazemi L. The epidemiology of futsal injuries via sport medicine federation injury surveillance system of Iran in 2010. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences.(PSBS), 2013;82(Supplement C):946-51. (In Persian).
- Clarsen B, Myklebust G, Bahr R. Development and validation of a new method for the registration of overuse injuries in sports injury epidemiology. British Journal of Sports Medicine. (BJSM), 2012 ;47(8):495-502.
- Junge A, Dvorak J. Injury surveillance in the World Football Tournaments 1998–2012. British Journal of Sports Medicine. (BJSM), 2013;47(12):782-8.
- Krist MR, van Beijsterveldt AMC, Backx FJG, Ardine de Wit G. Preventive exercises reduced injury-related costs among adult male amateur soccer players: A cluster-randomised trial. Journal of Physiotherapy.(JP), 2013;59(1):15-23.
- Vanderlei FM, Bastos FN, de Lemes ÍR, Vanderlei LCM, Júnior JN, Pastre CM. Sports injuries among adolescent basketball players according to position on the court. International Archives of Medicine. 2013;6(1):5.
- Fuller CW, Ekstrand J, Junge A, Andersen TE, Bahr R, Dvorak J, et al. Consensus statement on injury definitions and data collection procedures in studies of football (soccer) injuries. Br J Sports Med. (BJSM), 2006;40(3):193-201.
- Jacobsson J, Timpka T, Kowalski J, Nilsson S, Ekberg J, Dahlström Ö, et al. Injury patterns in Swedish elite athletics: Annual incidence, injury types and risk factors. British Journal of Sports Medicine. (BJSM), 2013;47(15):941-52.
- Erfani M, Sahebozamani M, Marefati H, Sharifiyav E.The survey of Sole Arch index and its relation to Non-Contact Ankle Sprain in Athlete. Journal of Sport Medicin.(JSM), 20091388;3(1):99-112. (In Persian).
- Rahnama N, Bambaeichi E, Daneshjoo A. The epidemiology of knee injuries in Iranian male professional soccer players. Sport Sciences for Health. 2009;5(1):9-14. (In Persian)
- Rahnama N, Bambaeichi E, Daneshjo A. The epidemiology of knee injuries in Iranian male professional soccer players. Harkat. 20081387;36(1):5-22: (In Persian).
- Timpka T, Jacobsson J, Bickenbach J, Finch CF, Ekberg J, Nordenfelt L. What is a Sports Injury Sports Medicine.(Sport Med), 2014;44(4):423-8.
- Patel DR, Yamasaki A, Brown K. Epidemiology of sports-related musculoskeletal injuries in young athletes in United States. Translational Pediatrics. 2017;6(3):160-6.
- Liu H, Garrett WE, Moorman CT, Yu B. Injury rate, mechanism, and risk factors of hamstring strain injuries in sports: A review of the literature. Journal of Sport and Health Science. (JSHS), 2012;1(2):92-101.
- Hallquist C, Fitzgerald UT, Alricsson M. Responsibility for child and adolescent’s psychosocial support associated with severe sports injuries. Journal of Exercise Rehabilitation.(JER), 2016;12(6):589-97.
- Montalvo AM, Shaefer H, Rodriguez B, Li T, Epnere K, Myer GD. Retrospective injury epidemiology and risk factors for injury in crossFit. Journal of Sports Science & Medicine. (JSSM), 2017;16(1):53-9.
- Hespanhol Junior LC, Barboza SD, van Mechelen W, Verhagen E. Measuring sports injuries on the pitch: A guide to use in practice. Brazilian Journal of Physical Therapy. (BJPT), 2015;19:369-80.
- de Araujo MK, Baeza RM, Zalada SRB, Alves PBR, de Mattos CA. Injuries among amateur runners. Revista Brasileira de Ortopedia. (Rev Bras Ortop), 2015;50(5):537-40.
- Hamilton B, Alonso J-M, Best TM. Time for a paradigm shift in the classification of muscle injuries. Journal of Sport and Health Science. (JSHS), 2017; 6(3): 255–261.
- Timpka T, Alonso J-M, Jacobsson J, Junge A, Branco P, Clarsen B, et al. Injury and illness definitions and data collection procedures for use in epidemiological studies in Athletics (track and field): Consensus statement. British Journal of Sports Medicine. (BJSM), 2014;48(7):483-90.