Document Type : Research Paper
Professor at Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman
Department of Sport Injuries and Corrective Exercises, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Shahid Bahonar University of kerman, Kerman, Iran.
Assistant Professor of Sport Injuries (Injury prevention)
Assistant Professor of Sport Medicine, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran.
Background and Aim: If Several studies have been done on the role of vision and importance of visual information in the ability of postural control, but none of these reports have examined the role of visual information on balance recovery strategies. The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of eliminating visual feedback on the balance recovery strategies in deaf individuals. Materials and Methods: 15 Deaf females (age 28.93±2.25 years, height 156.73±6.46 cm, and mean weight 58.06±7.91 kg) were selected as samples. Balance recovery strategies were recorded by six high-speed cameras after sudden movement of the treadmill. Paired-Sample T test was used for data analysis in open and closed eyes. Results: The results of this study showed that the mean of hip and ankle swings can be significantly increased by closing the eyes, both in the anterior-posterior and posterior-anterior disturbances (p<0.05). The results also showed that there is not a significant difference between the ratio of hip-to-ankle swings in open and closed eyes (p >0.05). Conclusion: The findings of this study showed that remove of visual information leads to increase in hip and ankle swings, but there is no significant difference in the ratio of hip-to-ankle swings. Therefore, visual information does not seem to play an important role in choosing the balance recovery strategies in deaf people.
- Fotiadou E, Giagazoglou P, Kokaridas D, Tsimaras V. Effect of rhythmic gymnastics on the dynamic balance of children with deafness. Eur J Spec Needs Educ. 2002; 3:301–9
- Sotoudeh M. Prevalence of hearing impairment in primary school children. J Ardabil Uni Med Sci. 2005; 3:246-50
- Hesari A, Daneshmandi H, Mahdavi S. The effect of 8 weeks of core stabilization training program on balance in hearing impaired students. J Sport Med. 2012; 3:67-83. (In Persian).
- Myklebust, HR. The psychology of deafness. 2nd ed. New York. NY: Grune and Stratton Inc; 1964. p. 221-240
- Zarei H. Comparison of the effect and sustainability of two proprioception and core stability training programs on the balance of deaf students [Unpublished masters̕ thesis]: [Guilan]. University of Guilan; 2017. (In Persian).
- NajafiFard A, Hemayat Talab R, Sheikh M. The effect of eight-week period of rebound therapy exercises on the balance of male students with hearing disabilities. Int. J Sport Studies. 2015; 5:1206-11
- Hof AL, Curtze C. A stricter condition for standing balance after unexpected perturbations. J. Bio. 2016;49(4):580-5.
- Mixco A, Reynolds M, Tracy B, Reiser RF. Aging-related cocontraction effects during ankle strategy balance recovery following tether release in women. J Mot Behav. 2012; 44:1-11.
- Beyranvand R, Sahebozamani M, Daneshjoo A. The role of vision in elderly balance recovery strategies. J Sport Rehab Res. 2017; 9:95-103. (In Persian)
- Juodzbaliene V, Muckus K. The influence of the degree of visual impairment on psychomotor reaction and equilibrium maintenance of adolescents. Medicina (Kaunas). 2006;42(1): 49-56.
- Aydoga ST, Aydog E, Akcib AC, Doral MN. Reproducibility of postural stability scores in blind athletes. Isokinetics Exercise Sci. 2004; 12:229-32.
- Valizade A, Rezazade F, Aali Sh, MustafaZadeh A. Comparison of static balance among blind, deaf and normal children in different conditions. j. Rehab. 2014;14(4):106-112. (In Persian)
- Horak FB. Postural control. In: Encyclopedia of neuroscience: Springer; 2009. p. 3212-9.
- Salari A, Sahebozamani M, Daneshmandi H. The effect of core stability training program on balance in blind female athletes. J of Kerman University of Medical Sciences. 2013; 6:585-95. (In Persian).
- Bolger D, Ting LH, Sawers A. Individuals with transtibial limb loss use interlimb force asymmetries to maintain multi-directional reactive balance control. Clin Biomech. 2014;29(9):39-47
- Barnett CT, Vanicek N, Polman RC. Postural responses during volitional and perturbed dynamic balance tasks in new lower limb amputees: A longitudinal study. Gait Posture. 2013;37(3):319-25.
- Daneshmandi H, Karimizadeh M, Naderifar H, Kordi MH. Sport and physical education for disabled. Tehran: Hatmi; 2015. p. 330-349. (In Persian).
- Seyedi M, Seydi F, Rahimi A, Minoonejad H. The Impact of sensory systems involved in postural control in deaf and non- deaf athletes. J. Sport Med. 2015;7(1):111-27. (In Persian).
- Horak FB. Postural orientation and equilibrium: What do we need to know about neural control of balance to prevent falls? BGS. 2006;1(35):7–11.
- Kejonen P, Kauranen K. Reliability and validity of standing balance measurements with a motion analysis system. Physiotherapy. 2002;88(1):25-32.
- Beyranvand R, Sahebozamani M, Daneshjoo A. A survey on relationship between postural sway parameters and balance recovery strategies in older people. Daneshvar. 2016;23(123):21-30 (In Persian).
- Hsiao-Wecksler ET, Katdare K, Maston J, Liu W, Lipsitz LA, Collins JJ. Predicting the dynamic postural control response from quiet-stance behavior in elderly adults. J Biomech. 2003;36(9):1327-33.
- Jilk DJ, Safavynia SA, Ting LH. Contribution of vision to postural behaviors during continuous support-surface translations. Exp Brain Res. 2014;232(1):169-80.
- Liu B, Kong W, Zou Y. The sensory organization in the posture stability with interruption induced by standing foam in normal subjects. Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi. 2007;21(4):162–5.
- Paul M, Biswas SK, Sandhu JS. Role of sports vision and eye hand coordination training in performance of table tennis players. Braz J Biomotricity. 2011;5(2): 106-16.
- Gimmon Y, Riemer R, Oddsson L, Melzer I. The effect of plantar flexor muscle fatigue on postural control. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2011; 21(6): 922-8.
- Rinaldi N M,Barbieri F A, Arroyo C, Stella F, Gobbi L. Visual conditions and postural directions affect postural sway variability in patients with Parkinson’s disease. Motricidade. 2015; 1:118-25.
- Meshkati Z, Namazizadeh M. The comparison of the role of vision on static postural stability in athletes and non-athletes. Iranian Rehab J. 2010; 11:50-3.
- Williams AM, Weigelt C, Harris M, Scott MA. Agerelated differences in vision and proprioception in a lower limb interceptive task: The effects of skill level and practice. Res Q Exerc Sport. 2002;73(4):386-95.
- T. Ray Ch, Horvat M, Croce R, Mason R, Wolf S. The impact of vision loss on postural stability and balance strategies in individuals with profound vision loss. Gait Posture. 2008; 28:58–61.
- Hammami RG, Behm D, Chtara M, Othman A, Chaouachi A. Comparison of static balance and the role of vision in lite athletes. J. Human Kinetics. 2014; 40:33-41
- Simmons RW. Sensory organization determinates of postural stability in trained ballet dancers. J Neurosci. 2005;115(l):87-97.
- Harringe ML, Halvorsen K, Renstrom P, Werner S. Postural control measured as the center of pressure excursion in young female gymnasts with low back pain or lower extremity injury. Gait Posture. 2008:28(1):38-45.
- Schmidt RA. Motor learning and performance: From principles to practice. 3th edition. USA: Human Kinetics; 2003. p. 29
- Berthoz A. Neural basis of spatial orientation and memory of routes: Topokinetic memory or topokinesthesic memory. Eur PMC. 2001; 157:779-89.
- Horak FB, Shumway‐Cook A, Crowe TK, Black FO. Vestibular function and motor proficiency of children with impaired hearing, or with learning disability and motor impairments. Developmental Med & Child Neurology. 1988;30(1):64-79.
- Suarez H, Angeli S, Suarez A, Rosales B, Carrera X, Alonso R. Balance sensory organization in children with profound hearing loss and cochlear implants. (Controlled Clinical Trial). Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2007;71(4):629-37.
- Shokrollah Zadeh F, Mirzajani A. The role of vision on the body balance. Modern Rehab. 2015; 2:15-21.
- Rine RM. Growing evidence for balance and vestibular problems in children. Audiological Med.2009 ;7(3):138-42.
- Khanna P, Kapoor G, Zutshi K, Student P, Hamdard J, Physiotherapist S. Balance deficits and recovery timeline after different fatigue protocols. Ind J Physiol Occup Ther. 2008; 2:42-48.
- Szymczyk D, Drużbicki M, Dudek J, Szczepanik M, Snela S. Balance and postural stability in football players with hearing impairment. Balance. 2012; 3:258-263.
- Mackey DC, Robinovitch SN. Mechanisms underlying age-related differences in ability to recover balance with the ankle strategy. Gait posture. 2006;23(1):59-68.