Document Type : Research Paper
PhD student of Sport Injuries and Corrective Exercise, faculty of Sport Sciences, University of Isfahan
Associate Professor, Department of Sport Injuries and Corrective Exercise, faculty of Sport Sciences, University of Isfahan
The purpose of this study was to investigate the Effect of core and hip neuromuscular training on knee joint position sense and static balance of male athletes with anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Twenty four athletes with a history of ACL reconstruction were selected and divided into experimental and control groups randomly. Before and after training (8 weeks, 3 sessions per week) from both groups, knee proprioception at 30, 45 and 60 degrees and static balance evaluated using an isokinetic dynamometer and a one-limb stand test by force plate respectively. Data were analyzed using t-test and analysis of covariance (ANCOVA). The results showed that neuromuscular training can have a significant effect on knee joint position sense and static balance of athletes who have a history of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.
- Solomonow M, Krogsgaard M. Sensorimotor control of knee stability: A review. Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports. 2001;11(2):64-80.
- Boden BP, Dean GS, Feagin JA, Garrett WE. Mechanisms of anterior cruciate ligament injury. J. Orthop. 2000;23(6):573-8.
- Daniel DM, Stone ML, Dobson BE, Fithian DC, Rossman DJ, Kaufman KR. Fate of the ACL-injured patient a prospective outcome study. Am. J. Sports Med. 1994;22(5):632-44.
- Shanbehzade SJA, Amiri A, Nassaj GH, Aghili A, PirAli M. The relationship between isokinetic squat and vertical jump in anterior cruciate ligament reconstructed patients. J. Mod. Rehabil. 2011;5(2):17-22. (In Persian).
- Shanbehzade S, Jamshidi AA, Amiri A, Nassaj GH, Aghili A, PirAli M. The relationship between isokinetic squat and vertical jump in anterior cruciate ligament reconstructed patients. J. Mod. Rehabil. 2011;5(2):17-22. (In Persian).
- Rahnama N, Bambaei chi E, Daneshjo A. Prevalence and etiology of anterior cruciate ligament injury in professional male soccer players. J.Olampic. 2008;4(44):7-16. (In Persian).
- Beynnon BD, Johnson RJ, Abate JA, Fleming BC, Nichols CE. Treatment of anterior cruciate ligament injuries, part I. Am. J. Sports Med. 2005;33(10):1579-602.
- White K. The effects of neuromuscular training on the ability to return-to-activity for the ACL reconstructed athlete. Newark : University of Delaware; 2014. p.14-20
- Ardern CL, Webster KE, Taylor NF, Feller JA. Return to the preinjury level of competitive sport after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction surgery: Two-thirds of patients have not returned by 12 months after surgery. Am. J. Sports Med. 2011;39(3):538-43.
- Ardern CL, Webster KE, Taylor NF, Feller JA. Return to the preinjury level of competitive sport after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction surgery two-thirds of patients have not returned by 12 months after surgery. Am. J. Sports Med. 2011;39(3):538-43.
- Paterno MV, Schmitt LC, Ford KR, Rauh MJ, Myer GD, Huang B, et al. Biomechanical measures during landing and postural stability predict second anterior cruciate ligament injury after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction and return to sport. Am. J. Sports Med. 2010;38(10):1968-78.
- Shelbourne KD, Gray T, Haro M. Incidence of subsequent injury to either knee within 5 years after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with patellar tendon autograft. Am. J. Sports Med. 2009;37(2):264-51.
- Spindler KP, Huston LJ, Wright RW, Kaeding CC, Marx RG, Amendola A, et al. The prognosis and predictors of sports function and activity at minimum 6 years after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction a population cohort study Am. J. Sports Med. 2011;39(2):348-59.
- Golchini A BN, Ahanjan SH. Static and dynamic balance analysis of athletes with anterior cruciate ligaments reconstructed with arthroscopy. J. Sports Sci. 2012;2(8):23-34. (In Persian).
- Bonfim TR, Paccola CAJ, Barela JA. Proprioceptive and behavior impairments in individuals with anterior cruciate ligament reconstructed knees. Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2003;84(8):1217-23.
- Riemann BL, Lephart SM. The sensorimotor system, part II: The role of proprioception in motor control and functional joint stability. J. Athl. Train. 2002;37(1):80-84.
- Lattanzio PJ, Petrella RJ. Knee proprioception: A review of mechanisms, measurements, and implications of muscular fatigue. J. Orthop. 1998;21(4):463-71.
- Callaghan MJ, Selfe J, Bagley PJ, Oldham JA. The effects of patellar taping on knee joint proprioception. J. Athl. Train. 2002;37(1):19-27.
- Salmon L, Russell V, Musgrove T, Pinczewski L, Refshauge K. Incidence and risk factors for graft rupture and contralateral rupture after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Arthroscopy. 2005;21(8):948-57.
- Rostami M RN, Pazira P, Bambaechi E. Measurement of muscular torque, proprioception, and range of motion after a rehabilitation program of the reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament. j Sport Med. 2014;6(1):19-31. (In Persian).
- Rojhani shirazi Z SR, Afarandide M. Effect of balance training on proprioception of knee and ankle joints and equilibrium time in single leg in healthy female students. Rafsanjan Univ Med Sci. 2012;10(4):289-98.(In Persian).
- Sampson NR, Beck NA, Baldwin K, Ganley T, Wells L, Lawrence J, editors. Knee injuries in children and adolescents: Has there been an increase in ACL and mensicus tears in recent years? Paper presented at: American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference and Exhibition ;2011october ; Boston, MA.
- Ribeiro F, Oliveira J. Effect of physical exercise and age on knee joint position sense. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 2010;51(1):64-7.
- Ghazaleh L, Anbarian M, Karimi MT, Damavandi M. Dynamics study of ankle joint during quiet standing balance control with emphasis on dominant and non-dominant lower limb. Physical Treatments-Specific Physical Therapy Journal. 2014;4(3):153-60. (In Persian).
- Karlsson A, Frykberg G. Correlations between force plate measures for assessment of balance. Clinical Biomechanics. 2000;15(5):365-9.
- Myer GD, Chu DA, Brent JL, Hewett TE. Trunk and hip control neuromuscular training for the prevention of knee joint injury. Clinics in Sports Medicine. 2008;27(3):425-48.
- Petrella R, Lattanzio P, Nelson M. Effect of age and activity on knee joint proprioception1. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 1997;76(3):235-41.
- Lephart SM, Pincivero DM, Giraido JL, Fu FH. The role of proprioception in the management and rehabilitation of athletic injuries. The American Journal of Sports Medicine. 1997;25(1):130-7.
- Lephart SM, Warner JJ, Borsa PA, Fu FH. Proprioception of the shoulder joint in healthy, unstable, and surgically repaired shoulders. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 1994;3(6):371-80.
- Fortun C, Davies G, Kernozck T. The effects of plyometric training on the shoulder internal rotators. Phys Ther. 1998;78(51):S87.
- Nazary Soltan Ahmad S LA. Effect of the selected proprioceptive training on pain and proprioception in pre- and post-pubertal 8 to 16 year old women with hypermobility. J Rehab Med. 2019;7(4):116-26. (In Persian).
- Roberts D, Ageberg E, Andersson G, Fridén T. Effects of short-term cycling on knee joint proprioception in ACL-deficient patients. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2004;12(5):357-63.
- Han H-W, Kim S-S. Effect of close kinetic chain and open kinetic chain position on proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation applied to the unilateral upper extremity on the muscle activation of lower extremity. PNF and Movement. 2009;7(3):17-27.
- Aminaka N, Gribble PA. A systematic review of the effects of therapeutic taping on patellofemoral pain syndrome. Journal of Athletic Training. 2005;40(4):341-8.
- Chmielewski TL, Wilk KE, Snyder-Mackler L. Changes in weight-bearing following injury or surgical reconstruction of the ACL: Relationship to quadriceps strength and function. Gait & Posture. 2002;16(1):87-95.
- Paterno MV, Myer GD, Ford KR, Hewett TE. Neuromuscular training improves single-limb stability in young female athletes. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 2004;34(6):305-16.
- Cosio-Lima LM, Reynolds KL, Winter C, Paolone V, Jones MT. Effects of physioball and conventional floor exercises on early phase adaptations in back and abdominal core stability and balance in women. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2003;17(4):721-5.
- Hoffman M, Payne VG. The effects of proprioceptive ankle disk training on healthy subjects. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 1995;21(2):90-3.
- Coughlan G, Caulfield B. A 4-week neuromuscular training program and gait patterns at the ankle joint. Journal of athletic training. 2007;42(1):51-9.
- Ellenbecker T. Rehabilitation of shoulder and elbow injuries in tennis players. Clinics in Sports Medicine. 1995;14(1):87-110.
- Blackburn T, Guskiewicz KM, Petschauer MA, Prentice WE. Balance and joint stability: the relative contributions of proprioception and muscular strength. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 2000;9(4):315-28.
- Verhagen E, Bobbert M, Inklaar M, van Kalken M, van der Beek A, Bouter L, et al. The effect of a balance training programme on centre of pressure excursion in one-leg stance. Clinical Biomechanics. 2005;20(10):1094-100.