Document Type : Research Paper
Department of Physical education &amp; Sport Sciences, Kharazmi University
clinical physics,tarbiat modares
Compliance and Carotid artery intima-media thickness are both important determinants of cardiovascular problems that are influenced by factors such as age, physical activity, etc. Therefore, the aim of this study was to compare blood mechanical properties and the carotid artery of professional basketball players and inactive people. For this purpose 10 young basketball men were compared with 10 young non-athlete men. Using the Doppler ultrasound apparatus, the film and image of the right carotid artery was taken from the subjects. Results showed that basketball players had lower heart rate (↓15.8%) and higher intima-media thickness in diastolic phase (↑17.8%) than non-athlete group, but systolic blood velocity (↑18.6%) and diastolic blood velocity (↑26.7%) and compliance (↑32%) were higher in the non-athlete group. Increased arterial stiffness in basketball seems to be a physiological adaptation to hypertension during training and competitions.
- Maron BJ. Structural features of the athlete heart as defined by echocardiography. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 1986;7(1):190-203.
- Green DJ, Spence A, Rowley N, Thijssen DH, Naylor LH. Vascular adaptation in athletes: is there an ‘athlete's artery’? Experimental Physiology. 2012;97(3):295-304.
- Li Y-SJ, Haga JH, Chien S. Molecular basis of the effects of shear stress on vascular endothelial cells. Journal of Biomechanics. 2005;38(10):1949-71.
- Davies PF. Flow-mediated endothelial mechanotransduction. Physiological Reviews. 1995;75(3):519-60.
- Chien S. Mechanotransduction and endothelial cell homeostasis: The wisdom of the cell. American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 2007;292(3):H1209-H24.
- Gimbrone Jr MA, Topper JN, Nagel T, Anderson KR, Garcia Cardena G. Endothelial dysfunction, hemodynamic forces, and atherogenesis a. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2000;902(1):230-40.
- Chiu J-J, Usami S, Chien S. Vascular endothelial responses to altered shear stress: Pathologic implications for atherosclerosis. Annals of Medicine. 2009;41(1):19-28.
- Garin G, Berk BC. Flow-mediated signaling modulates endothelial cell phenotype. Endothelium. 2006;13(6):375-84.
- Gimbrone Jr MA. Vascular endothelium: An integrator of pathophysiologic stimuli in atherosclerosis. The American Journal of Cardiology. 1995;75(6):67B-70B.
- Dimmeler S, Haendeler J, Zeiher AM. Regulation of endothelial cell apoptosis in atherothrombosis. Current Opinion in Lipidology. 2002;13(5):531-6.
- Dinenno FA, Tanaka H, Monahan KD, Clevenger CM, Eskurza I, DeSouza CA, et al. Regular endurance exercise induces expansive arterial remodelling in the trained limbs of healthy men. The Journal of Physiology. 2001;534(1):287-95.
- Dinenno FA, Jones PP, Seals DR, Tanaka H. Age-associated arterial wall thickening is related to elevations in sympathetic activity in healthy humans. American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 2000;278(4):H1205-H10.
- Tarzamni MK, Salehi R, Givian F, Farhang S. Association of carotid intima-media thickness with the presence and severity of coronary artery disease. Neurosciences. 2006;4:308-11.
- Gersh BJ, Sliwa K, Mayosi BM, Yusuf S. Novel therapeutic concepts the epidemic of cardiovascular disease in the developing world: Global implications. European heart journal. 2010;31(6):642-8.
- Koyoshi R, Miura S-i, Kumagai N, Shiga Y, Mitsutake R, Saku K. Clinical significance of flow-mediated dilation, brachial intima-media thickness and pulse wave velocity in patients with and without coronary artery disease. Circulation Journal. 2012;76(6):1469-75.
- Liviakis L, Pogue B, Paramsothy P, Bourne A, Gill EA. Carotid intima-media thickness for the practicing lipidologist. Journal of Clinical Lipidology. 2010;4(1):24-35.
- Mahdavi-Roshan M, Salari A, Doostdar-Sanaye M. Brachial endothelial function and carotid intima-media thickness in patients with coronary artery disease. Journal of Paramedical Sciences. 2015;6(4): 15-19.
- Sugawara J, Komine H, Hayashi K, Yoshizawa M, Otsuki T, Shimojo N, et al. Systemic α-adrenergic and nitric oxide inhibition on basal limb blood flow: Effects of endurance training in middle-aged and older adults. American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 2007;293(3):H1466-H72.
- Connes P, Pichon A, Hardy-Dessources M-D, Waltz X, Lamarre Y, Simmonds MJ, et al. Blood viscosity and hemodynamics during exercise. Clinical Hemorheology and Microcirculation. 2012;51(2):101-9.
- Thijssen DH, Maiorana AJ, O’Driscoll G, Cable NT, Hopman MT, Green DJ. Impact of inactivity and exercise on the vasculature in humans. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 2010;108(5):845-75.
- Maron BJ. Sudden death in young athletes. New England Journal of Medicine. 2003;349(11):1064-75.
- Thompson PD, Funk EJ, Carleton RA, Sturner WQ. Incidence of death during jogging in Rhode Island from 1975 through 1980. Jama. 1982;247(18):2535-8.
- Eckart RE, Scoville SL, Campbell CL, Shry EA, Stajduhar KC, Potter RN, et al. Sudden death in young adults: A 25-year review of autopsies in military recruits. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2004;141(11):829-34.
- Bille K, Figueiras D, Schamasch P, Kappenberger L, Brenner JI, Meijboom FJ, et al. Sudden cardiac death in athletes: The lausanne recommendations. European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation. 2006;13(6):859-75.
- Siscovick DS, Weiss NS, Fletcher RH, Lasky T. The incidence of primary cardiac arrest during vigorous exercise. New England Journal of Medicine. 1984;311(14):874-7.
- Maron BJ, Doerer JJ, Haas TS, Tierney DM, Mueller FO. Sudden deaths in young competitive athletes. Circulation. 2009;119(8):1085-92.
- Eckart RE, Scoville SL, Shry EA, Potter RN, Tedrow U. Causes of sudden death in young female military recruits. The American Journal of Cardiology. 2006;97(12):1756-8.
- Harmon KG, Drezner JA, Wilson MG, Sharma S. Incidence of sudden cardiac death in athletes: a state-of-the-art review. Heart. 2014;100(16):1227-34.
- Schmied C, Borjesson M. Sudden cardiac death in athletes. Journal of Internal Medicine. 2014;275(2):93-103.
- Otsuki T, Maeda S, Iemitsu M, Saito Y, Tanimura Y, Ajisaka R, et al. Relationship between arterial stiffness and athletic training programs in young adult men. American Journal of Hypertension. 2007;20(9):967-73.
- Thijssen D, De Groot P, Smits P, Hopman M. Vascular adaptations to 8‐week cycling training in older men. Acta Physiologica. 2007;190(3):221-8.
- Okamoto T, Masuhara M, Ikuta K. Effects of eccentric and concentric resistance training on arterial stiffness. Journal of Human Hypertension. 2006;20(5):348-354.
- Tanaka H, Dinenno FA, Monahan KD, Clevenger CM, DeSouza CA, Seals DR. Aging, habitual exercise, and dynamic arterial compliance. Circulation. 2000;102(11):1270-5.
- Rafati M, Mokhtari- Dizaji M, Saberi H, Grailu H, Automatic measurement of instantaneous changes in the walls of carotid artery with sequential ultrasound images. Physiology and Pharmacology. 2009;13(3):308-18.
- Seals DR, DeSouza CA, Donato AJ, Tanaka H. Habitual exercise and arterial aging. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2008;105(4):1323-32.
- Kakiyama T, Sugawara J, Murakami H, Maeda S, Kuno S, Matsuda M. Effects of short-term endurance training on aortic distensibility in young males. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2005;37(2):267-71.
- Tordi N, Colin E, Mourot L, Bouhaddi M, Regnard J, Laurant P. Effects of resuming endurance training on arterial stiffness and nitric oxide production during exercise in elite cyclists. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism. 2006;31(3):244-9.
- Rowley NJ, Dawson EA, Hopman MT, George KP, Whyte GP, Thijssen DH, et al. Conduit diameter and wall remodeling in elite athletes and spinal cord injury. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2012;44(5):844-9.
- Otsuki T, Maeda S, Iemitsu M, Saito Y, Tanimura Y, Ajisaka R, et al. Effects of athletic strength and endurance exercise training in young humans on plasma endothelin-1 concentration and arterial distensibility. Experimental Biology and Medicine. 2006;231(6):789-93.
- Kawano H, Tanaka H, Miyachi M. Resistance training and arterial compliance: keeping the benefits while minimizing the stiffening. Journal of Hypertension. 2006;24(9):1753-9.
- Jorge MLMP, de Oliveira VN, Resende NM, Paraiso LF, Calixto A, Diniz ALD, et al. The effects of aerobic, resistance, and combined exercise on metabolic control, inflammatory markers, adipocytokines, and muscle insulin signaling in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Metabolism. 2011;60(9):1244-52.
- Feigenbaum MS, Pollock ML. Prescription of resistance training for health and disease. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 1999;31:38-45.
- Cortez-Cooper MY, DeVan AE, Anton MM, Farrar RP, Beckwith KA, Todd JS, et al. Effects of high intensity resistance training on arterial stiffness and wave reflection in women. American Journal of Hypertension. 2005;18(7):930-4.
- Cortez-Cooper MY, Anton MM, DeVan AE, Neidre DB, Cook JN, Tanaka H. The effects of strength training on central arterial compliance in middle-aged and older adults. European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation. 2008;15(2):149-55.
- Yoshizawa M, Maeda S, Miyaki A, Misono M, Saito Y, Tanabe K, et al. Effect of 12 weeks of moderate–intensity resistance training on arterial stiffness: A randomised controlled trial in women aged 32–59 years. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2009;43(8):615-8.
- Heffernan KS, Fahs CA, Iwamoto GA, Jae SY, Wilund KR, Woods JA, et al. Resistance exercise training reduces central blood pressure and improves microvascular function in African American and white men. Atherosclerosis. 2009;207(1):220-6.
- Okamoto T, Masuhara M, Ikuta K. Effects of low-intensity resistance training with slow lifting and lowering on vascular function. Journal of Human Hypertension. 2008;22(7):509-11.
- Okamoto T, Masuhara M, Ikuta K. Effect of low-intensity resistance training on arterial function. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 2011;111(5):743-8.
- Au JS, Oikawa SY, Morton RW, MacDonald MJ, Phillips SM. Arterial stiffness is reduced regardless of resistance training load in young men. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2017;49(2):342-8.
- Li Y, Hanssen H, Cordes M, Rossmeissl A, Endes S, Schmidt-Trucksäss A. Aerobic, resistance and combined exercise training on arterial stiffness in normotensive and hypertensive adults: A review. European Journal of Sport Science. 2015;15(5):443-57.
- Cook JN, DeVan AE, Schleifer JL, Anton MM, Cortez-Cooper MY, Tanaka H. Arterial compliance of rowers: implications for combined aerobic and strength training on arterial elasticity. American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 2006;290(4):H1596-H600.
- Thijssen DH, Heesterbeek P, Van Kuppevelt DJ, Duysens J, Hopman MT. Local vascular adaptations after hybrid training in spinal cord-injured subjects. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2005;37(7):1112-8.
- Cioni G, Berni A, Gensini GF, Abbate R, Boddi M. Impaired femoral vascular compliance and endothelial dysfunction in 30 healthy male soccer players: Competitive sports and local detrimental effects. Sports Health. 2015;7(4):335-40.
- Liu H-B, Yuan W-X, Qin K-R, Hou J. Acute effect of cycling intervention on carotid arterial hemodynamics: basketball athletes versus sedentary controls. Biomedical Engineering Online. 2015;14(1):S17.
- MacDougall J, Tuxen D, Sale D, Moroz J, Sutton J. Arterial blood pressure response to heavy resistance exercise. Journal of Applied Physiology. 1985;58(3):785-90.
- Newcomer SC, Thijssen DH, Green DJ. Effects of exercise on endothelium and endothelium/smooth muscle cross talk: role of exercise-induced hemodynamics. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2011;111(1):311-20.
- Nichols W, O’Rourke M, McDonald D. Blood flow in arteries: Theoretical, experimental and clinical principles. London: Edward Arnold; 1998. p.
- Mayet J, Stanton AV, Chapman N, Foale RA, Hughes AD, Thom SAM. Is carotid artery intima-media thickening a reliable marker of early atherosclerosis? Journal of Cardiovascular Risk. 2002;9(2):77-81.
- Kohn JC, Lampi MC, Reinhart-King CA. Age-related vascular stiffening: Causes and consequences. Frontiers in Genetics. 2015;6:112.
- Council ES, Redon J, Narkiewicz K, Nilsson PM, Burnier M, Viigimaa M, et al. 2013 ESH/ESC Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension. European Heart Journal. 2013;34:2159-219.