Document Type : Research Paper
PHD student of physical education and sport science in Sport Biomechanics, Islamic Azad University, Central Tehran Branch, Tehran, Iran
Professor, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, University of Kharazmi, Tehran, Iran
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Central Tehran Branch, Tehran, Iran
The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of fatigue caused by jump- landing on plantar pressure characteristics during stance phase of gait. 24 adolescent volleyball players with and without a history of ankle sprain injury participated. Maximum Sole Foot Pressure characteristics during stance phase of gait were collected and analyzed by a Pedo Scan device correlating to Formetric before and after the fatigue protocol. No significant difference seen between plantar pressure characteristics of players without a history of unilateral ankle injury, while there was a significant difference in between players with a history of unilateral ankle injury between average pressure on injured ankle and maximum pressure, step duration and the plantar contact area on non-injured ankle. Due to results, it seems fatigue from consecutive jumping and landing protocol in the group with a history of unilateral ankle injuries can increase risk of lower limb injurie in gait.
- Ozer D, Senbursa G, Baltaci G, Hayran M. The effect on neuromuscular stability, performance, multi-joint coordination and proprioception of bare foot, taping or preventative bracing. Foot. 2009;19(4):205-10.
- Augustsson SR, Augustsson J, Thomee R, Svantesson U. Injuries and preventive actions in elite Swedish volleyball. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2006; 16:433-40.
- McNitt-Gray J.L, Hester D.M, Mathiyakom W, Munkasy B.A. Mechanical demand and multijoint control during landing depend on orientation of the body segments relative to the reaction force. J Biomech. 2001; 34(11): 1471-82.
- Verhagen E, Van der Beek A, Bouter L, Bahr R.M, Van Mechelen W. A one season prospective cohort study of volleyball injuries. Br J Sports Med. 2004;38(4):477-81.
- Wikstrom EA, Powers ME, Tillman MD. Dynamic stabilization time after isokinetic and functional fatigue. J Athl Train. 2004;39(3):247-53.
- Wikstrom EA, Arrigenna MA, Tillman MD, Borsa PA. Dynamic postural stability in subjects with braced, functionally unstable ankles. J Athl Train. 2006;41(3):245-50.
- Greig M, Waker-Johnson C. The influence of soccer- specific fatigue on functional stability. Phys Ther Sport. 2007; 8:185-90.
- Gregory MG, Nicole DJ, Kristin AD, Sarah EM, Thomas WK. Effect of fatigue on neuromuscular function at the ankle. J Sport Rehabil. 2007; 16:295-306.
- Marco B, Emanuela F. Postural control after a strenuous treadmill exercise. J Neuroscience Letters. 2007; 418(3):276-81.
- Hosseinimehr H, Daneshmandi H, Norasteh A. The effects of fatigue and chronic ankle instability on dynamic postural control. Physics International. 2010;1(1):22-6.
- Brazen DM, Todd MK, Ambegaonkar JP, Wunderlich R, Peterson C. The effect of fatigue on landing biomechanics in single-leg drop landings. Clin Sports Med. 2010;20(4):286-92.
- Perrin PP, Bene MC, Perrin CA, Durupt D. Ankle trauma significantly impairs posture control- A study in basketball players and controls. Int J Sports Med. 1997; 18:387-92.
- Rozzi SL, Lephart SM, Sterner R, Kuligowski L. Balance training for persons with functionally unstable ankles. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1999;29(8):478-86.
- Hertel J. Functional Anatomy, pathomechanics, and pathophysiology of lateral ankle instability. J Athl Train. 2002;37(4):364-75.
- Winter DA. Human balance and posture control during standing and walking. Gait Posture. 1995; 3:193-214.
- Paillard, T. Effects of general and local fatigue on postural control: A review. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2012;36(1):162-76.
- Qu X, Yeo JC. Effects of load carriage and fatigue on gait characteristics. J Biomech. 2011;44(7):1259-63.
- Know OY, Mueller MJ. Walking patterns used to reduce forefoot plantar pressure in people with diabetic neuropathies. Physical Therapy. 2001; 81:828-35.
- Chappell JD, Herman DC, Knight BS, Kirkendall DT, Garrett WE, Yu B. Effect of fatigue on knee kinetics and kinematics in stop-jump tasks. Am J Sports Med. 2005;33(7):1022-9.
- Roos H, Ostenberg A. Injury risk factors in female European football: A prospective study of 123 players during one season. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2000; 10:279-85.
- Firth J, Turner D, Smith W, Woodburn J, Helliwell P. The validity and reliability of PressureStat for measuring plantar foot pressures in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Biomech. 2007;22(5):603-6.
- Safaei-Pour Z, Ebrahimi E, Saeedi H, Kamali M. Invesigation of Dynamic Plantar Pressure Distribution in healthy adults during standing and walking. J Rehabil. 2009;10(2):8-15.
- Andreia SP, João L, Bianca C, Rubim S. The effect of fatigue caused by consecutive jump- landing on plantar pressure characteristics during stance phase of walking in adolescent volleyball players with and without sprain ankle injury. J Athl Train. 2017;52(4):360–7.
- Cote KP, Brunet, Gansneder BM, Shultz SJ. Effects of pronated and supinated foot postures on static and dynamic postural stability. J Athl Train. 2005;40(1):41-46.
- Suzi E. The effects of fatigue on landing in beach volleyball: Implications for patellar tendinosis [Unpublished masters̕ thesis]: [New South Wales, Australia]. University of Wollongong; 2002.
- Xu C, Wen XX, Huang LY, Shang L, Cheng XX, Yan YB, Lei W. Normal foot loading parameters and repeatability of the footscan platform system. J Foot Ankle Res. 2017;10(30):2-10.
- Boozari S, Jamshidi AA, Sanjari MA, Jafari H. Effect of functional fatigue on vertical ground-reaction force in individuals with flat feet. J Sport Rehabil. 2013;22(3):177-83.
- Longpré HS, Potvin JR, Maly MR. Biomechanical changes at the knee after lower limb fatigue in healthy young women. Clin Biomech. 2013;28(4):441-7.
- Toebes MJ, Hoozemans MJ, Dekker J, van Dieën JH. Effects of unilateral leg muscle fatigue on balance control in perturbed and unperturbed gait in healthy elderly. Gait Posture. 2014;40(1):215-9.
- Barbieri FA, Santos PC, Lirani-Silva E, Vitório R, Gobbi LT, van Diëen JH. Systematic review of the effects of fatigue on spatiotemporal gait parameters. JBackMusculoskeletRehabil. 2013;26(2):125-31.
- Hajilu B, Anbarian M, Sepehrian M, Esmaeili H. The effect of quadriceps muscle fatigue on foot plantar pressure distribution during stance phase of walking. RJMS. 2014; 21:1-8. (In Persian)
- Yniguez SL. The effects of fatigue on plantar pressure distribution in subjects with chronic ankleinstability after jump-landing task [Unpublished masters̕ thesis]: [Toledo]. University of Toledo, College of Health Sciences; 2011.
- Webster KA. Measures of plantar pressure and influences of fatigue on muscle activation in subjects with and without chronic ankle instability may; 2010. Available at: http://rave.ohiolink.edu/etdc/view?acc_num=toledo1271361172
- Bisiaux M, Moretto P. The effects of fatigue on plantar pressure distribution in walking. Gait Posture. 2008;28(4):693-8.
- Nagel A, Fernholz F, Kibele C, Rosenbaum D. Long distance running increases plantar pressures beneath the metatarsal heads: a barefoot walking investigation of 111 marathon runners. Gait Posture. 2008;27(1):152-5.
- Thijs Y, De Clercq D, Roosen P, Witvrouw E. Gait-related intrinsic risk factors for patellofemoral pain in novice recreational runners. Br J Sports Med. 2008; 42:466–71.
- Weist R, Eils E, Rosenbaum D. The influence of muscle fatigue on electromyogram and plantar pressure patterns as an explanation for the incidence of metatarsal stress fractures. Am J Sports Med. 2004;32(8):1893-8.