Document Type : Research Paper
M.Sc. / University of Mazandaran
Associate Professor / University of Mazandaran
Assistant Professor / University of Mazandaran
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of training with external sensory timing on the mean area and amplitude of the center of pressure during static and dynamic balance in the elderly. Thirty-six elderly (all males) were randomly assigned to control, walking, and training with external sensory timing (experimental) groups.
The training sessions were conducted during six weeks (three sessions per week). The participants were administered two postural tasks of static and dynamic balance prior and following the treatments as their pre- and post-tests. The results indicated that there were no significant differences in the center of pressure area and distance means from pre- to post-tests of all groups. However, training with external sensory timing significantly increased the amplitude of the center of pressure in the anterior-posterior and the internal-external directions of the experimental groups. The results indicated that training with external sensory timing significantly improved the dynamic balance of the elderly. Therefore, this method can be considered as a low-cost, modern, and simple method to be included in the training programs of the elderly to improve their dynamic balance.
- Gomes MM, Reis JG, Neves TM, Petrella M, de Abreu DC. Impact of aging on balance and pattern of muscle activation in elderly women from different age groups. Int J Gerontol. 2013 Jun 1;7(2):106-11.
- Mojabi M. Dizziness in elderly. Journal of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences. 2007:11 (2):71-77. (In Persian).
- Boyer KA, Johnson RT, Banks JJ, Jewell C, Hafer JF. Systematic review and meta-analysis of gait mechanics in young and older adults. EXP GERONTOL. 2017 Sep 1; 95:63-70.
- Caetano MJ, Lord SR, Allen NE, Brodie MA, Song J, Paul SS, Canning CG, Menant JC. Stepping reaction time and gait adaptability are significantly impaired in people with Parkinson's disease: implications for fall risk. Parkinsonism & related disorders. 2018 Feb 1; 47:32-8.
- Whipple R, Wolfson L, Derby C, Singh D, Tobin J. 10 altered sensory function and balance in older persons.J Gerontol. 1993 Sep 1;48(Special_Issue):71-6.
- Anderson RL, Fishback E. Balance specific training in water and on land in older adults: A pilot study. IJARE. 2010;4(3):8-19.
- Latham NK, Anderson CS, Bennett DA, Stretton C. Progressive resistance strength training for physical disability in older people. CDSR. 2003(2):58- 30.
- Wittwer JE, Webestre KE, Hill K. Music and metronome cues produce different effects on gait spatiotemporal measures but not gait variability in healthy older adults. Gait & Posture. 2013;37(2):219-22.
- Thaut MH. Neural basis of rhythmic timing networks in the human brain. ANN N Y ACAD. 2003;999)1(:364-73.
- Bengtsson SL, Ullen F, Ehrsson HH, Hashimoto T, Kito T, Naito E, Forssberg H, Sadato N. Listening to rhythms activates motor and premotor cortices. cortex. 2009 Jan 1;45(1):62-71.
- Thaut MH, McIntosh GC, Prassas SG, Rice RR. Effect of rhythmic auditory cuing on temporal stride parameters and EMG. Patterns in hemiparetic gait of stroke patients. J Neurol Rehabil. 1993 Mar;7(1):9-16.
- Ghai S. Effects of real-time (sonification) and rhythmic auditory stimuli on recovering arm function post stroke: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Front Neurol. 2018; 13(9):48-65.
- Sejdić E, Fu Y, Pak A, Fairley JA, Chau T. The effects of rhythmic sensory cues on the temporal dynamics of human gait. PloS One. 2012:7(8):e43104.
- Schreiber C. Influence of a rhythmic auditory stimulation on asymptomatic gait. Gait & Posture. 2016; 50:17-22.
- Trombetti A, Hars M, Herrmann FR, Kressig RW, Ferrari S, Rizzoli R. Effect of music-based multitask training on gait, balance, and fall risk in elderly people: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med. 2011 Mar 28;171(6):525-33.
- Hamburg J, Clair AA The effects of a movement with music program on measures of balance and gait speed in healthy older adults. J Music Ther. 2003;40(3):212-26.
- Deviterne D, Gauchard GC, Jamet M, Vançon G, Perrin PP. Added cognitive load through rotary auditory stimulation can improve the quality of postural control in the elderly. BRAIN RES BULL. 2005 Jan 30;64(6):487-92.
- Yang DJ, Park SK, Uhm YH, Park SH, Chun DW, Kim JH. The correlation between muscle activity of the quadriceps and balance and gait in stroke patients. J Phys Ther Sci. 2016;28(8):2289-92.
- Lo J, Lo OY, Olson EA, Habtemariam D, Iloputaife I, Gagnon MM, Manor B, Lipsitz LA. Functional implications of muscle co-contraction during gait in advanced age. Gait & posture. 2017 Mar 1; 53:110-4.
- Podsiadlo D, Richardson S. The timed “Up & Go”: A test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991;39(2):142-8.
- Pourmahmoudian P, Noraste AA, Daneshmandi H, Atrkar Roshan Z. Functional balance assessment scales in elderly. Iranian Journal of Ageing. 2018;13(2):132-53. (In Persian).
- Rafa’ti A. Effect of a resistance training program of selected lower limb muscles on stability indicators in the elderly after perturbation. [Mastersʼs thesis]. [Babolsar ]: University of Mazandaran; 2017. (In Persian).
- Degani AM, Leonard CT, Danna-dos-Santos A. The effects of early stages of aging on postural sway: A multiple domain balance assessment using a force platform. J Biomech. 2017; 64:8-15.
- Conklyn D, Stough D, Novak E, Paczak S, Chemali K, Bethoux F. A home-based walking program using rhythmic auditory stimulation improves gait performance in patients with multiple sclerosis: a pilot study. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2010 Nov;24(9):835-42.
- Memarmoghaddam M, Shahraki M. The effect of rhythmic auditory stimulation during gait training on kinematic parameters of gait in patients with multiple sclerosis. Journal of Motor Behavior. 2018;10(33):149-64. (In Persian).
- Lajoie Y, Teasdale N, Bard C, Fleury M. Attentional demands for static and dynamic equilibrium. Exp Brain Res. 1993;97(1):139-44.
- Repp BH, SU Y-H. Sensorimotor synchronization: A review of recent research (2006–2012). Psychon Bull Rev. 2013;20(3):403-52.
- Horak FB. Clinical measurement of postural control in adults. Phys Ther. 1987;67(12):1881-5.