Document Type : Research Paper
PhD student in Corrective exercises and Sport Injuries, Faculty of Sport Sciences, University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran
Department of Corrective Exercises and Sport Injuries, Faculty of Sport Sciences, University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran
Decrease in knee proprioception and muscles strength are outcomes of anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) rupture that sustained with patients post-surgery. The aim of this study was to compare the knee joint positioning sensation and muscle strength in patients with completed sport rehabilitation program and returned to exercise with their healthy matches. Twenty-five male basketball players (11 participants with autograft reconstruction hamstring or surgery and 14 healthy participants) participated in this study. Flexor and extensor peak torque of the knee at the angular velocities of 60 and 180 deg.s-1 and proprioception at 45̊ were evaluated in both dominant and nondominant legs by isokinetic dynamometry. Data were analyzed by F test and independent samples t-test. The results of this study showed that there is no differences in flexion and extension peak torque at 60 deg.s-1 angular velocity (p=0.483), peak extension moment at 180 deg.s-1 in dominant and nondominant (p=0.371, p=0.890) and joint positioning sensation between dominant and nondominant legs (p=0.896) in groups. However,
extension peak torque in the injured group was lower than healthy group in both dominant (p=0.034) and nondominant legs (p=0.043). According to the results of this study, it can be concluded that after successive completion of rehabilitation program, surgery-induced outcomes could be improved, and it can reduce re-injury risk in athletes.
- Brown CN, Mynark R. Balance deficits in recreational athletes with chronic ankle instability. J Athl Train. 2007;42(3):367-373.
- Knobloch K, Rossner D, Jagodzinski M, Zeichen J, Gössling T, Martin-Schmitt S, et al. Prevention of school sport injuries: An analysis of ballsports with 2234 injuries. Sportverletz Sportschaden. 2005;19(2):82-8.
- Newnam S, Collie A, Vogel A, Keleher H. The impacts of injury at the individual, community and societal levels: A systematic meta-review. Public Health. 2014;128(7):587-618.
- Silvers HJ, Mandelbaum BR. Prevention of anterior cruciate ligament injury in the female athlete. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2007;41(suppl 1):i52-i9.
- Bollen S. Epidemiology of knee injuries: Diagnosis and triage. Br J Sports Med. 2000;34(3):227-8.
- Gianotti SM, Marshall SW, Hume PA, Bunt L. Incidence of anterior cruciate ligament injury and other knee ligament injuries: A national population-based study. J Sci Med Sport. 2009;12(6):622-7.
- Kvist J, Gauffin H, Grevnerts HT, Ardern C, Hägglund M, Stålman A, et al. Natural corollaries and recovery after acute ACL injury: the NACOX cohort study protocol. BMJ Open. 2018;8(6):e020543.
- Angoules A, Mavrogenis A, Dimitriou R, Karzis K, Drakoulakis E, Michos J, et al. Knee proprioception following ACL reconstruction: A prospective trial comparing hamstrings with bone–patellar tendon–bone autograft. Knee. 2011;18(2):76-82.
- Laboute E, Verhaeghe E, Ucay O, Minden A. Evaluation kinaesthetic proprioceptive deficit after knee anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction in athletes. J Exp Orthop. 2019;6(1):1-7.
- Bonfim TR, Paccola CAJ, Barela JA. Proprioceptive and behavior impairments in individuals with anterior cruciate ligament reconstructed knees. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003;84(8):1217-23.
- Furlanetto TS, Peyré-Tartaruga LA, Pinho ASd, Bernardes EdS, Zaro MA. Proprioception, body balance and functionality in individuals with ACL reconstruction. Acta Ortop Bras. 2016;24(2):67-72.
- MacDonald PB, Hedden D, Pacin O, Sutherland K. Proprioception in anterior cruciate ligament-deficient and reconstructed knees. Am J Sports Med. 1996;24(6):774-8.
- Aliaei Gr, Jamshidi Khourneh A, Talebian Moghaddam S, Heydarian K. Functional outcome of lower limb following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A prospective clinical study. TUMJ. 2007;65(2):62-68.
- Suarez T, Laudani L, Giombini A, Saraceni VM, Mariani PP, Pigozzi F, et al. Comparison in joint-position sense and muscle coactivation between anterior cruciate ligament–deficient and healthy individuals. J Sport Rehabil. 2016;25(1):64-9.
- Barber-Westin SD, Noyes FR. Objective criteria for return to athletics after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction and subsequent reinjury rates: A systematic review. Phys Sport Med. 2011;39(3):100-10.
- Kuenze CM, Hertel J, Weltman A, Diduch D, Saliba SA, Hart JM. Persistent neuromuscular and corticomotor quadriceps asymmetry after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. J Athl Train. 2015;50(3):303-12.
- Moisala A-S, Järvelä T, Kannus P, Järvinen M. Muscle strength evaluations after ACL reconstruction. Int J Sports Med. 2007;28(10):868-72.
- Petersen W, Taheri P, Forkel P, Zantop T. Return to play following ACL reconstruction: A systematic review about strength deficits. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2014;134(10):1417-28.
- Rostami Haji Abadi M, Rahnama N, Pazira P, Bambaeichi E. The investigation of muscle torque, proprioception and range of motion after a rehabilitation period of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Harakat. 2014;6(1):19-31. (In Persian)
- Ghasemi M, Anbarian M, Sedighi A. A comparison of the effect of two different local cooling methods on knee joint position sense. Iranian Journal of Rehabilitation Research in Nursing. 2016;2(3):9-17. (In Persian).
- Waldén M, Hägglund M, Ekstrand J. High risk of new knee injury in elite footballers with previous anterior cruciate ligament injury. Br J Sports Med. 2006;40(2):158-62.
- Jerosch J, Prymka M. Knee joint proprioception in normal volunteers and patients with anterior cruciate ligament tears, taking special account of the effect of a knee bandage. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 1996;115(3-4):162-6.
- Andrade MDS, De Lira CAB, Koffes FDC, Mascarin NC, Benedito-Silva AA, Da Silva AC. Isokinetic hamstrings-to-quadriceps peak torque ratio: The influence of sport modality, gender, and angular velocity. J Sports Sci. 2012;30(6):547-53.
- Yosmao HB, LU GB, Kaya D, ÖZER H, Atay A. Comparison of functional outcomes of two anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction methods with hamstring tendon graft. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2011;45(4):240-7.
- Konishi Y, Oda T, Tsukazaki S, Kinugasa R, Fukubayashi T. Relationship between quadriceps femoris muscle volume and muscle torque at least 18 months after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2012;22(6):791-6.
- Anderson JL, Lamb SE, Barker KL, Davies S, Dodd CA, Beard DJ. Changes in muscle torque following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A comparison between hamstrings and patella tendon graft procedures on 45 patients. Acta Orthop Scand. 2002;73(5):546-52.
- Vairo GL, Myers JB, Sell TC, Fu FH, Harner CD, Lephart SM. Neuromuscular and biomechanical landing performance subsequent to ipsilateral semitendinosus and gracilis autograft anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2008;16(1):2-14.
- Çınar-Medeni Ö, Harput G, Baltaci G. Angle-specific knee muscle torques of ACL-reconstructed subjects and determinants of functional tests after reconstruction. J Sports Sci. 2019;37(6):671-6.
- Czaplicki A, Jarocka M, Walawski J. Isokinetic identification of knee joint torques before and after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. PloS one. 2015;10(12):e0144283.
- Kvist J, Ek A, Sporrstedt K, Good L. Fear of re-injury: A hindrance for returning to sports after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2005;13(5):393-7.
- Ageberg E, Roos HP, Silbernagel KG, Thomeé R, Roos EM. Knee extension and flexion muscle power after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with patellar tendon graft or hamstring tendons graft: a cross-sectional comparison 3 years post surgery. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2009;17(2):162-9.
- Rostami Haji Abadi M, Rahnama N, Pazira P, Bambaeichi E. The investigation of muscle torque, proprioception and range of motion after a rehabilitation period of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Harakat. 2014;6(1):19-31 (In Persian).
- Muaidi QI, Nicholson LL, Refshauge KM, Adams RD, Roe JP. Effect of anterior cruciate ligament injury and reconstruction on proprioceptive acuity of knee rotation in the transverse plane. Am J Sports Med. 2009;37(8):1618-26.
- Baumeister J, Reinecke K, Weiss M. Changed cortical activity after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in a joint position paradigm: an EEG study. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2008;18(4):473-84.