Document Type : Research Paper
This study aimed to investigate the comparison of prevalence of trunk dysfunction among athletes in three different sports. Thirty athletes were assessed in a purposely available manner, from each sport by Tuck jump test, and individuals with trunk dysfunction were compared with each other. Analysis of variance ANOVA and Chi-square tests were used to analyze the data. The results showed that there was no significant difference between Tuck jump test scores and trunk dysfunction among three different sports, but valuable information such as the percentage and number of people with trunk dysfunction in table tennis, cycling and swimming (breaststroke and butterfly stroke swimmers), which have different natures and movement patterns, was obtained. By accurately screening, assessing and identifying the trunk dysfunction, the risk of injury, especially anterior cruciate ligament injury, which has a direct relation with trunk dysfunction, can be reduced in athletes.
- Bahr R, Engebretsen L. Sports injury prevention. In: Bahr A, Engebretsen L. editors. Handbook of sports medicine and science. London: Wiley Online Library; 2009.
- McIntosh A, Bahr R. Developing and managing an injury prevention program within the team. In Sports Injury Prevention. Lonon: Routledge; 2009. p. 17-29.
- Hashemi Javaheri SA. Effects of weeks of resistance training with traband on dynamic balance in young soccer players. Journal of Sport Biomechanics. 2016;2(2):43-53.
- Pullinger S, Rejeb A. Training load and injury incidence over one season in adolescent arab table tennis players: a pilot study. Asian Journal Sports Medicine. 2019;3(10): e84592.
- Priego Quesada JI, Kerr ZY, Bertucci WM, Carpes FP. A retrospective international study on factors associated with injury, discomfort and pain perception among cyclists. PloS One. 2019;14(1):e0211197.
- Wanivenhaus F, Fox AJ, Chaudhury S, Rodeo SA. Epidemiology of injuries and prevention strategies in competitive swimmers. Sports Health. 2012;4(3):246-51.
- Kendall FP, McCreary EK, Provance PG, Rodgers M, Romani WA. Muscles, testing and function: With posture and pain. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, MD;1993.
- Hewett TE, Ford KR, Hoogenboom BJ, Myer GD. Understanding and preventing acl injuries: current biomechanical and epidemiologic considerations-update. N Am Sports Phys Ther. 2010;5(4):234-51.
- Hewett TE, Myer GD. Reducing knee and anterior cruciate ligament injuries among female athletes–A systematic review of neuromuscular training interventions. J Knee Surj. 2005;18(1):82-8.
- Hewett TE, Myer GD, Ford KR, Heidt RS, Colosimo AJ, McLean SG, et al. Neuromuscular control and valgus loading of the knee predict ACL injury risk in female athletes. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2004;36(5):S.287.
- Akuthota V, Nadler SF. Core strengthening. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004;85(3 Suppl 1):S86-92.
- Nesser TW, Huxel KC, Tincher JL, Okada T. The relationship between core stability and performance in division I football players. J Strength Cond Res. 2008;22(6):1750-4.
- Kember L, Moore I, Lloyd R. Variation of tuck jump assessment kinetics in female athletes. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2020;54(Suppl 1): A. 141.
- Herrington L, Myer GD, Munro A. Intra and inter-tester reliability of the tuck jump assessment. Phys Ther Sport. 2013;14(3):152-5.
- Padua DA, Marshall SW, Boling MC, Thigpen CA, Garrett Jr WE, Beutler AI. The landing error scoring system (LESS) is a valid and reliable clinical assessment tool of jump-landing biomechanics: the JUMP-ACL study. The American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2009;37(10):1996-2002.
- Myer GD, Brent JL, Ford KR, Hewett TE. Real-time assessment and neuromuscular training feedback techniques to prevent ACL injury in female athletes. Strength cond J. 2011;33(3):21-35.
- Hamlyn N, Behm DG, Young WB. Trunk muscle activation during dynamic weight-training exercises and isometric instability activities. J Strength Cond Res. 2007;21(4):1108-12.
- Liu J, Li Z. Analysis on physical training thoughts of table tennis players from the perspective of functional training. 5th International Conference on Education Technology, Management and Humanities Science; 2019.
- Yu C, Shao S, Awrejcewicz J, Baker JS, Gu Y. Lower limb maneuver investigation of chasse steps among male elite table tennis players. Medicina (Kaunas). 2019;55(4):97.
- Zhang H, Zhou Z. How is table tennis in China successful? German Journal of Exercise and Sport Research. 2019;49(3):244-50.
- Correia JP, Oliveira R, Vaz JR, Silva L, Pezarat-Correia P. Trunk muscle activation, fatigue and low back pain in tennis players. J Sci Med Sport. 2016;19(4):311-6.
- Streisfeld GM, Bartoszek C, Creran E, Inge B, McShane MD, Johnston T. Relationship between body positioning, muscle activity, and spinal kinematics in cyclists with and without low back pain: A systematic review. Sports Health. 2017;9(1):75-9.
- Turpin NA, Costes A, Moretto P, Watier B. Upper limb and trunk muscle activity patterns during seated and standing cycling. J Sports Sci. 2017;35(6):557-64.
- Brand A, Sepp T, Klöpfer-Krämer I, Müßig JA, Kröger I, Wackerle H, et al. Upper Body posture and muscle activation in recreational cyclists: immediate effects of variable cycling setups. Res Q for Exerc Sport. 2020;91(2):298-308.
- Rannama I, Pedak K, Bazanov B, Port K. Cycling specific postural stability during incremental exercise. The relationship with cyclists functional movement screen score. Journal of Human Sport and Exercise. 2017;12(1):83-95.
- Gül M, Alagöz İ, Gül GK. Effect of core stabilization training applied 10 to 13 age swimmers on the swimming time and some motoric characteristics. European Journal of Physical Education and Sport Science. 2020;6(1):12-24.
- Paolucci T, Coraci D, Saggini R, Pezzi L, Priori F. Core stability and shoulder injury in overhead athletes: A mini review. Diagn Ther Complement Tradit Med. 2019;3:1-5.
- Basu S, Chhabra S, Baxi G, Palekar TJ, Khandare S, Shinde SA. Effect of core stability exercises on freestyle swimmer’s performance. International Journal of Basic and Applied Research. 2018;2249-3352.
- Hertel J, Braham RA, Hale SA, Olmsted-Kramer LC. Simplifying the star excursion balance test: analyses of subjects with and without chronic ankle instability. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2006;36(3):131-7.
- Mascal CL, Landel R, Powers C. Management of patellofemoral pain targeting hip, pelvis, and trunk muscle function: 2 case reports. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2003;33(11):647-60.
- Jalili S, Firouzjah E. Effect of six weeks of CX WORX training on core muscles endurance, balance, and upper extremity function in athletic girls with trunk deficiency. Scientific Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 2020;8(4):8-19. (In Persian).
- Rackwitz B, de Bie R, Limm H, von Garnier K, Ewert T, Stucki G. Segmental stabilizing exercises and low back pain. What is the evidence? A systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Clin Rehabil. 2006;20(7):553-67.