Document Type : Research Paper
Center of Excellence for Support Systems in Health Development, Yazd University, Yazd, Iran
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Yazd university, Yazd, Iran
There are various methods for motion reconstruction using stereophotogrammetric cameras. The most common method is the use of predictive methods by attaching markers to anatomical landmarks. In contrast, functional methods are not depending on anatomical landmarks and use the relative motion of adjacent segments to identify the center of rotation and subsequently motion reconstruction. The goal of this study was to conduct a comparison between the predictive and functional methods to investigate the feasibility of using circle fitting algorithm in human body motion reconstruction. Six healthy subjects have been studied (three times each) using the three marker sets: plug-in-gait, cluster and circle-fitting method. However, some differences between methods were found in some signal characteristics, the results showed a high correlation Among three methods. By expanding functional methods such as circle-fitting, can be controlled many sources of errors in predictive methods and can be made a change in human movement reconstruction.
- Chruscikowski E, Fry NR, Noble JJ, Gough M, Shortland AP. Selective motor control correlates with gait abnormality in children with cerebral palsy. Gait Posture. 2017;(52):107-9.
- van Hal E, Otten E, Hijmans JM, Postema K. A new leg prosthesis to improve lateral balance in prosthetic walking. Gait Posture. 2015;(42):S81-2.
- Attias M, Bonnefoy-Mazure A, Cheze L, DeCoulon G, Armand S. Feasibility and reproducibility of using an exoskeleton able to emulate muscle contractures during walking. Gait Posture. 2015;(42):S82-3.
- Meskers CG, Van der Helm FC, Rozendaal LA, Rozing PM. In vivo estimation of the glenohumeral joint rotation center from scapular bony landmarks by linear regression. J Biomech. 1997;31(1):93-6.
- Cappozzo A, Catani F, Della Croce U, Leardini A. Position and orientation in space of bones during movement: Anatomical frame definition and determination. Clin Biomech. 1995;10(4):171-8.
- De Rosario H, Page Á, Besa A. Analytical study of the effects of soft tissue artefacts on functional techniques to define axes of rotation. J Biomech. 2017;(62):60-7.
- Davis RB, Ounpuu S, Tyburski D, Gage JR. A gait analysis data collection and reduction technique. Hum Mov Sci. 1991;(10):575-87.
- Collins TD, Ghoussayni SN, Ewins DJ, Kent JA. A six degrees-of-freedom marker set for gait analysis: repeatability and comparison with a modified Helen Hayes set. Gait Posture. 2009;30(2):173-80.
- Halvorsen K. Bias compensated least squares estimate of the center of rotation. J Biomechanics. 2003;36(7):999-1008.
- Reuleaux, F. Theoretische kinematik: Grundzüge einer Theorie des Maschinenwesens. Available at: [https://books.google.com]
- Moorehead JD, Montgomery SC, Harvey DM. Instant center of rotation estimation using the Reuleaux technique and a Lateral Extrapolation technique. J Biomech. 2003;36(9):1301-7.
- Piazza SJ, Erdemir A, Okita N, Cavanagh PR. Assessment of the functional method of hip joint center location subject to reduced range of hip motion. J Biomech. 2004;37(3):349-56.
- Ehrig RM, Taylor WR, Duda GN, Heller MO. A survey of formal methods for determining the centre of rotation of ball joints. J Biomech. 2006;39(15):2798-809.
- Crenna F, Rossi GB, Palazzo A. Instantaneous centre of rotation in human motion: measurement and computational issues. In J Phys: Conference Series 2016;772(1):012027.
- Nikooyan AA, van der Helm FC, Westerhoff P, Graichen F, Bergmann G, Veeger HD. Comparison of two methods for in vivo estimation of the glenohumeral joint rotation center (GH-JRC) of the patients with shoulder hemiarthroplasty. PLoS One. 2011;6(3): e18488.
- Lempereur M, Leboeuf F, Brochard S, Rousset J, Burdin V, Rémy-Néris O. In vivo estimation of the glenohumeral joint centre by functional methods: Accuracy and repeatability assessment. J Biomech. 2010;43(2):370-4.
- Brenner DJ, Elliston CD, Hall EJ, Berdon WE. Estimated risks of radiation-induced fatal cancer from pediatric CT. Am J of Roentgenol. 2001;176(2): 289-296.
- Ferrari A, Benedetti MG, Pavan E, Frigo C, Bettinelli D, Rabuffetti M, Crenna P, Leardini A. Quantitative comparison of five current protocols in gait analysis. Gait Posture. 2008;28(2):207-16.
- Akbarifar F. Design, simulation, experimental data acquisition, comparison and analysis of a method of motion reconstruction based on randomly distribution of markers [Master thesis]. [Yazd]: Yazd University; 2018. (In Persian).
- Auvinet E, Multon F, Aubin CE, Meunier J, Raison M. Detection of gait cycles in treadmill walking using a Kinect. Gait Posture. 2015;41(2):722-5.
- Rodda J, Graham HK. Classification of gait patterns in spastic hemiplegia and spastic diplegia: a basis for a management algorithm. Eur J Neurol. 2001;(8):98-108.
- Armand S, Decoulon G, Bonnefoy-Mazure A. Gait analysis in children with cerebral palsy. EFORT Open Rev. 2016;1(12):448-60.
- Gage JR, Schwartz MH, Koop SE, Novacheck TF, editors. The identification and treatment of gait problems in cerebral palsy. London: John Wiley & Sons; 2009. p. 30-64