Document Type : Research Paper
Kharazmi University, Tehran, Physical education and sports sciences
Azad University, Karj
Physical education and sports sciences department, Kharazmi Uuniversity, Tehran. Iran
Physical education and sports sciences Department, Kharazmi University, Tehran, Iran
This study proposed to compare the isokinetic performance profile of knee and ankle joint muscles in professional and amateur speed skaters. Sixteen speed skaters divided into two groups of amateurs and professionals were included in this survey. Isokinetic parameters of ankle and knee joints evaluated by using the Biodex isokinetic-dynamometer. Shapiro-Wilk and independent t-test were applied for statistical analysis at the significant level of ≤0.05. Independent sample t-test results showed a significant difference in isokinetic parameters such as the power of knee extensor muscle, power and deceleration time in inversion and eversion between amateur and professionals. It seems that the significant difference between professional and amateur speed skaters in isokinetic parameters is related to neuromuscular ability (power and deceleration time of invertor and evertor muscles groups). It is suggested that these parameters be considered in the training of this group of athletes.
- Naserpour H, Habibi H, Sadeghi H. The Effect of eight weeks of high intensive special preparation on selected biomechanical and anthropometrical parameters in young elite wrestlers. Journal of Sport Biomechanics. 2015; 1(1):35–44. (In Persian).
- Allinger TL, van den Bogert AJ. Skating technique for the straights, based on the optimization of a simulation model. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 1997;29(2):279–86.
- Chen WL, Su FC, Chou YL. Significance of acceleration period in a dynamic strength testing study. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1994;19(6):324–30.
- van Ingen Schenau GJ, Cavanagh PR. Power equations in endurance sports. J Biomech. 1990;23(9):865–81.
- Koning JJ de, van Ingen Schenau GJ. Performance-determining factors in speed skating. In: Zatsiorsky VM. editor. Biomechanics in sport: Performance enhancement and injury prevention. Oxford, Malden, MA: Blackwell Science; 2000. p. 232–46 (Volume IX of the Encyclopaedia of sports medicine).
- Quinn A, Lun V, McCall J, Overend T. Injuries in short track speed skating. Am J Sports Med. 2003;31(4):507–10.
- Koning JJ de, Thomas R, Berger M, Groot G de, van Ingen Schenau GJ. The start in speed skating: From running to gliding. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 1995;27(12):1703–8.
- Scattone-Silva R, Lessi GC, Lobato DFM, Serrão FV Acceleration time, peak torque and time to peak torque in elite karate athletes. Science & Sports. 2012;27(4):e31-e37.
- Wang X. The lower muscles force features of elite short track athletes and regression analysis of their 500m results. Mechanical, Materials and Manufacturing Engineering. 2011;66-68:1574–8.
- Rochcongar P. Evaluation isocinétique des extenseurs et fléchisseurs du genou en médecine du sport: revue de la littérature. Ann Readapt Med Phys. 2004;47(6):274–81.
- Kraus JF, Conroy C. Mortality and morbidity from injuries in sports and recreation. Annu Rev Public Health. 1984; 5:163–92.
- Zachazewski JE, Magee DJ, Quillen WS. Athletic injuries and rehabilitation. Philadelphia, Pa., London: Saunders; 1996. p. 12.
- Hewett TE, Stroupe AL, Nance TA, Noyes FR. Plyometric training in female athletes. Decreased impact forces and increased hamstring torques. Am J Sports Med. 1996; 24(6):765–73.
- Miller LE, Pierson LM, Nickols-Richardson SM, Wootten DF, Selmon SE, Ramp WK et al. Knee extensor and flexor torque development with concentric and eccentric isokinetic training. Res Q Exerc Sport. 2006;77(1):58–63.
- Felser S, Behrens M, Fischer S, Heise S, Bäumler M, Salomon R et al. Relationship between strength qualities and short track speed skating performance in young athletes. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2016;26(2):165–71.
- Zhang XM, Xia JY. A Study on Strength and Training Characteristics of Elite Female Skaters. Paper presented at: international conference on applied mechanics and materials (ICAMM 2013); 2013 November 23-24; Zhuhai, China.
- Zhang XM, Xia JY. The Comparative Study on Lower Limb Muscles between International and National Master Skating Athletes. Paper presented at: international conference on applied mechanics, materials and manufacturing (ICAMMM 2011); 2011 November 18-20; Shenzen, China.
- Wang X. Research on Lower Muscle Strength Feature for Elite Speed Skaters in High Speed Gliding. Paper presented at: international conference on applied mechanics, materials and manufacturing (ICAMMM 2011); 2011 November 18-20; Shenzen, China.
- MacWilliams BA, Wilson DR, DesJardins JD, Romero J, Chao EY. Hamstrings cocontraction reduces internal rotation, anterior translation, and anterior cruciate ligament load in weight-bearing flexion. J Orthop Res. 1999;17(6):817–22.
- Siqueira CM, Pelegrini FRMM, Fontana MF, Greve JMD. Isokinetic dynamometry of knee flexors and extensors: comparative study among non-athletes, jumper athletes and runner athletes. Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med Sao Paulo. 2002;57(1):19–24.
- Magalhaes J, Oliveira J, Ascensao A, Soares J. Concentric quadriceps and hamstrings isokinetic strength in volleyball and soccer players. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2004; 44(2):119–25.
- Weir JP, Evans SA, Housh ML. The effect of extraneous movements on peak torque and constant joint angle torque-velocity curves. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1996; 23(5):302–8.
- Bohannon RW, Gajdosik RL, LeVeau BF. Isokinetic knee flexion and extension torque in the upright sitting and semireclined sitting positions. Phys Ther. 1986; 66(7):1083–6.
- Burnfield JM, Josephson KR, Powers CM, Rubenstein LZ. The influence of lower extremity joint torque on gait characteristics in elderly men. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2000;81(9):1153–7.
- Calmels PM, Nellen M, van der Borne I, Jourdin P, Minaire P. Concentric and eccentric isokinetic assessment of flexorextensor torque ratios at the hip, knee, and ankle in a sample population of healthy subjects. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 1997;78(11):1224–30.
- Ece Aydoğ, Sedat Tolga Aydoğ, Aytül Çakci, Mahmut Nedim Doral. Reliability of isokinetic ankle inversion- and eversion-strength measurement in neutral foot position, using the Biodex dynamometer. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2004; 12(5):478–81.
- Brown LE. Isokinetics in Human Performance. : Human Kinetics; 2000. p. 11-25.
- Wang X, editor. The lower muscles force features of elite short track athletes and regression analysis of their 500m results. Vol 66. : Trans Tech Publ; 2011. p. 47-56.
- Wang X, Zhao J-p, Hual J, Li Y, Yang L-X. Research on the knee joint flexors and extensors strength characteristics of the male skaters of Chinese figure skating pairs mixed. China Winter Sports. 2012;6:10.
- Liu W, LIU D-s, LIU F. Research on the knee joint strength of Chinese excellent figure skaters. China Winter Sports. 2011; 33:40.
- Kulin RM, Jiang F, Vecchio KS. Effects of age and loading rate on equine cortical bone failure. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2011;4(1):57–75.
- Schaffler MB, Radin EL, Burr DB. Long-term fatigue behavior of compact bone at low strain magnitude and rate. Bone. 1990;11(5):321–6.
- Brughelli M, Cronin J. Influence of running velocity on vertical, leg and joint stiffness: modelling and recommendations for future research. Sports Med. 2008;38(8):647–57