Document Type : Research Paper
Assistant professor of Department of Sports Injury and Corrective Exercises, Faculty of Sport Sciences, Hakim Sabzevari University, Sabzevar, Iran
Assistant professor of Department of physical education and sport science, Amirkabir University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
MSc of physical education and sport science
Introduction: The aim of the present study was to comparison the effect of 8-week taping and selected therapeutic exercises on range of motion, proprioception and pain in gymnasts with shoulder impingement syndrome.
Materials and Methods: 15 patients were randomly assigned in taping group, 15 patients in therapeutic exercises group and 15 patients in control group. Patients in therapeutic exercises group received training sessions, for 8 weeks. Range of motion, proprioception and pain were measured with an Electrogoniometer, Biodex isokinetic dynamometer and visual analog scale, respectively.
Results: The results showed significant differences between the two experimental groups than control group for all outcome measures after the intervention. Therapeutic exercises group showed significantly larger improvement in range of motion than taping group.
Conclusion: According to research findings, therapeutic exercises cloud be more effective than taping in gymnasts with shoulder impingement syndrome.
- Michener L.A, Mcclure P.W, Karduna A.R. Anatomical and biomechanical mechanisms of subacromial impingement syndrome. Clin Biomech. 2003; 18: 369–79.
- Jobe C.M, Coen M.J, Screnar P. Evaluation of impingement syndromes in the overhead-throwing athlete. J Athl Train. 2000; 35: 293–9.
- Alibakhshi E, Golpayegani M, Kazemipour M, Mollanorouzi K, Parastesh M. Comparison of four physical therapy, massage therapy, mechanotherapy and compound programs on rotator cuff muscles in patients suffered from shoulder impingement syndrome. Iranian Journal of Military Medicine. 2010; 12(2): 81-88. (In Persian)
- Michener L.A, Walsworth M.K, Burnet E.N. Effectiveness of rehabilitation for patients with subacromial impingement syndrome: a systematic review. Journal of hand therapy. 2004; 17(2): 152-164.
- McClure P.W, Michener L.A, Karduna A.R. Shoulder function and 3-dimensional scapular kinematics in people with and without shoulder impingement syndrome. Physical therapy. 2006; 86(8): 1075-1090.
- Kibler B. Shoulder rehabilitation: Principles and practice. Med Sci Sports Exer. 1998; 30(4): 40-50.
- Smith M, Sparkes V, Busse M, Enright S. Upper and lower trapezius muscle activity in subjects with subacromial impingement symptoms: is there imbalance and can taping change it? Phys Ther Sport. 2009; 10(2): 45-50.
- Tucker W.S, Armstrong C.W, Gribble P.A, Timmons M.K, Yeasting R.A. Scapular muscle activity in overhead athletes with symptoms of secondary shoulder impingement during closed chain exercises. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91(4): 550-6.
- Diederichsen L.P, Nørregaard J, Dyhre-Poulsen P, Winther A, Tufekovic G, Bandholm T, et al. The activity pattern of shoulder muscles in subjects with and without subacromial impingement. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2009; 19(5): 789-99.
- Jerosch J, Wüstner P. Effect of a sensorimotor training program on patients with subacromial pain syndrome. Der Unfallchirurg. 2002; 105(1): 36-43.
- Nodehi A, Ebrahimi A, Eyvaz M, Salavati M, Aslani H. The study of proprioception of Patients with Impingement syndrome. Iranian Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery. 2004; 3(1): 42-47. (In Persian)
- Robin T. Ultrasound therapy for calcify tendonitis of the shoulder: Massachusetts: Medical Society; 2000.
- Forouhideh F, Naeimi S, Khademi Kalantari K, Rahimi A, Farhadi A. The short term effects of one-session of whole body vibration training on isokinetic strength of rotator cuff and shoulder proprioception in young healthy subjects. SJKU. 2011; 15(4): 52-64. (In persian)
- Hertling D, kessler R.M. Management of common musculoskeletal disorders. Lippincom William and Wilkins. 2006; 306.
- Melcan L. The effort of postural correction on wuscle activation amplitudes records from the cervicobratial region. j Electromyogr kinesi. 2005; 527-535.
- Minings E and et al. EMG analysis of shoulder muscle fatigue during isometric shoulder elevation. J Electromyogr kines: 2006; 1-7.
- Liebenson C. Rehabilitation of the spine; a practitioner’s manual. Lippincott Williams &Wilkins 2006; 15: 193–9.
- Macdonald R. Pocketbook of taping t echniques. Elsevier/Churchill Livingstone. 2009; 12: 181–7.
- Selkowitz D.M, Chaney C, Stuckey S.J, Vlad G. The effects of scapular taping on the Surface electromyographic signal amplitude of shoulder girdle muscles during upper extremity elevation in individuals with suspected shoulder impingement syndrome. J Orthop Sport Phys Ther. 2007; 37(11): 694-702.
- Hsu Y.H, Chen W.Y, Lin H.C, Wang W.T, Shih Y.F. The effects of taping on scapular kinematics and muscle performance in baseball players with shoulder impingement syndrome. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2009; 19(6): 1092-9.
- Roy J.S, Moffet H, Hébert L.J, Lirette R. Effect of motor control and strengthening exercises on shoulder function in persons with impingement syndrome: a single-subject study design. Man Ther. 2009; 14(2): 180-188.
- Walther M, Werner A, Stahlschmidt T, Woelfel R, Gohlke F. The subacromial impingement syndrome of the shoulder treated by conventional physiotherapy, self-training, and a shoulder brace: results of a prospective, randomized study. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2004; 13(4): 417-423.
- Rezvani MH, Pashapur R, Ghasemi B. The Effect of Eight Week Selected Exercise Training on Range of Motion and Pain in Patient with Shoulder Impingement Syndrome. Journal of Knowledge & Health. 2016; 11(2). (In Persian)
- Ebrahimi Ghrehghoyonloo M, Sahebozamani M, Beyranvand R, Karimi Afshar F. The effect of corrective exercises on shoulder pain and joint position sense in females with functional impingement syndrome. Scientific-Research Journal of Shahed University. 2017; 25(131). (In Persian)
- Mallaee F, Naseri N, Gotbi N. The effect of trapezius muscles kinesio taping on pain, functional movement of shouhder joint and lateral scapular slide in athletes with impingement syndrome. Journal of Modern Rehabilitation. 2016; 9(5). (In Persian)
- Shojaedin S, Amirii H, Barati AH. The effect of 6 weeks resistance exercises with Elastic-band on joint pain and range of motion in athlete men with shoulder impingement syndrome. Razi Journal of Medical Sciences. 2014; 21(119): 34-41. (In Persian)
- Moharrami R, Shojaeddin S, Sadeghi H. Effect of 6 weeks resistance training with elastic-band on proprioception in male athletes with shoulder impingement syndrome. Journal of Gorgan University of Medical Sciences. 2015; 16(4). (In Persian)
- Arami J, Soltani A.R, KhalkhaliZaveye M, Rahnema L. The effect of and two exercise therapy program proprioceptive and endurance training to treat patients with chronic non-specific neck pain. Journal of Babol University of Medical Sciences. 2012; 14(1): 77-85. (In Persian)
- Thompson, K.R, Mikesky A, Bahamonde R.E, Burr D.B. Effects of physical training on proprioception in older women. 2003.
- Anderson V.B, Wee E. Impaired joint proprioception at higher shoulder elevations in chronic rotator cuff pathology. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 201l; 92(7): 1146-1151.
- Shih Y.F, Lee Y.F, Chen W.Y. Effects of Kinesiology Taping on Scapular Reposition Accuracy, Kinematics, and Muscle Activity in Athletes with Shoulder Impingement Syndrome: A Randomized Controlled Study. J Sport Rehabil. 2018; 27(6): 560-569.
- Kahanov L. Kinesio taping: Part 1. An overview of its use in athletes. Athlet Ther Today. 2007; 12: 17-8.
- Garcia-Muro F, Rodriguez-Fernandez A.L, Herrero A. Treatment of myofascial pain in the shoulder with Kinesio Taping. A case report. Manual Ther. 2010; 15: 292-5.
- Alexander C.M, Stynes S, Thomas A, Lewis J, Harrison P.J. Does tape facilitate or inhibit the lower fibres of trapezius? Manual therapy. 2003; 8(1): 37-41.
- Moezy A, Sepehrifar S, Solaymani M. The effects of scapular stabilization based exercise therapy on pain, posture, flexibility and shoulder mobility in patients with shoulder impingement syndrome: a controlled randomized clinical trial. Med J Islam Repub Iran. 2014; 28: 87. (In Persian)
- Senbursa G, Baltacı G, Atay A. Comparison of conservative treatment with and without manual physical therapy for patients with shoulder impingement syndrome: a prospective, randomized clinical trial. Knee surgery, sports traumatology, arthroscopy. 2007; 15(7): 915-921.
- Yeganeh A, Abdollahi M, Amroodi MN, Farahini H. Comparison of the efficacy of local corticosteroid injection and physical therapy on pain severity, joint range of motion and muscle strength in patients with shoulder impingement syndrome. Medical Journal of Islamic Republic of Iran. 2011; 25(3): 142-152. (In Persian)
- Salamat S, Goharpey S.H, SHaterzade M.J. Comparison of two methods of training based on the current view with functional view of pain and maximal muscle activity in patients with shoulder impingement syndrome. Journal of Medicine. 2008; 7(3): 331-36. (In Persian)
- Lewis J.S, Wright C, Green A. Subacromial impingement syndrome: the effect of changing posture on shoulder range of movement. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 2005; 35(2): 72-87.
- Walther M, Werner A, Stahlschmidt T, Woelfel R, Gohlke F. The subacromial impingement syndrome of the shoulder treated by conventional physiotherapy, self-training, and a shoulder brace: results of a prospective, randomized study. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2004; 13(4): 417-423.
- Cubała A, Śniegocki M, Hoffman J, Ratuszek D, Jurkiewicz T, Molski P, Dzierżanowski M. Use of the kinesio taping method in painful shoulder syndrome. Medical and Biological Sciences. 2012; 26(4): 71-76.
- Selkowitz D.M, Chaney C, Stuckey S.J, Vlad G. The effects of scapular taping on the surface electromyographic signal amplitude of shoulder girdle muscles during upper extremity elevation in individuals with suspected shoulder impingement syndrome. Journal of orthopaedic & sports physical therapy. 2007; 37(11): 694-702.
- Alam S, Malhotra D, Munjal J, Chachra A. Immediate effect of Kinesio taping on shoulder muscle strength and range of motion in healthy individuals: A randomized trial. Hong Kong Physiotherapy Journal. 2015; 33(2): 80-88.
- Herrington L. The effect of patella taping on quadriceps strength and functional performance in normal subjects. Physical Therapy in Sport. 2004; 5(1): 33-36.
- Clausen M.B, Bandholm Th, Rathleff M.S,ChristensenK.B, Zebis M.K, Thorborg K. The Strengthening Exercises in Shoulder Impingement trial (The SExSI-trial) investigating the effectiveness of a simple add-on shoulder strengthening exercise programme in patients with long-lasting subacromial impingement syndrome: Study protocol for a pragmatic, assessor blinded, parallel-group, randomised, controlled trial. BioMed Central. 2018; 19: 154.
- Mulligan E.P, Huang M, Dickson T, Khazzam M. The effect of axioscapular and rotator cuff exercise training sequence in patients with subacromial impingment syndrome: a randomized crossover trial. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2016; 11(1): 94–107.
- Kaya E, Zinnuroglu M, Tugcu I. Kinesio taping compared to physical therapy modalities for the treatment of shoulder impingement syndrome. Clinical rheumatology. 2011; 30(2): 201-207.
- Page P. Shoulder muscle imbalance and subacromial impingement syndrome in overhead athletes. International journal of sports physical therapy. 2011; 6(1): 51.
- Dhein W, Torre M.L, Loss J.F. Effect of kinesio taping in myoelectric activity in patients with shoulder impingement.Man. Ther. Posturology Rehabil J. 2017; 15.
- Miller P, Osmotherly P. Does scapula taping facilitate recovery for shoulder impingement symptoms? A pilot randomized controlled trial. J Man Manip Ther. 2009; 17(1): 6-13.
- Shaheen A.F, Villa C, Lee Y.N, Bull A.M, Alexander C.M. Scapular taping alters kinematics in asymptomatic subjects. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 2013; 23(2): 326-333.
- Host H.H. Scapular taping in the treatment of anterior shoulder impingement. Phys Ther. 1995; 75(9): 803-812.
- Shamus J.L, Shamus E.C. A taping technique for the treatment of acromioclavicular joint sprains: a case study. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1997; 25(6): 390-394.