Document Type : Research Paper
Department of sport sciences, Faculty of humanities, University of Zanjan, Zanjan, Iran
Decreased muscle strength in the lower extremities is one of the disorders caused by type 2 diabetes. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of six weeks strengthening training on some biomechanical parameters of knee joint in type 2 diabetic patients. 24 patients with type 2 diabetes participated in the study and were divided in control group (N=12) and exercise group (N=12). Before and after six weeks of strengthening exercise program, research variables were measured by isokinetic dynamometer. The results showed that there were significant differences in concentric peak torque of knee flexion and extension and time to concentric peak torque of knee flexion and extension between two groups. It seems that strengthening exercise can improve the power generation capacity and neuromuscular function in patients with type 2 diabetes by increasing knee concentric peak torque and decreasing time to concentric peak torque.
- Hu FB. Globalization of diabetes: the role of diet, lifestyle, and genes. Diabetes Care. 2011;34(6):1249-57.
- World Bank organization. Retrieved from http://dataworldbankorg/indicator/SHXPDPCAP. 2015.
- IDF Diabets Atlas, International Diabet Federation, Eighth edition 2017.
- McCarthy MI. Genomics, type 2 diabetes, and obesity. N Engl J Med. 2010;363(24):2339-50.
- Fang P, Min W, Sun Y, Guo L, Shi M, Bo P, et al. The potential antidepressant and antidiabetic effects of galanin system. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2014;120:82-87.
- Wilmot E, Idris I. Early onset type 2 diabetes: risk factors, clinical impact and management. Ther Adv Chronic Dis. 2014;5(6):234-44.
- Horton ES. Effects of lifestyle changes to reduce risks of diabetes and associated cardiovascular risks: results from large scale efficacy trials. Obesity. 2009;17(S3):S43-S48.
- Højbjerre L, Sonne MP, Alibegovic AC, Dela F, Vaag A, Meldgaard JB, et al. Impact of physical inactivity on subcutaneous adipose tissue metabolism in healthy young male offspring of patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes. 2010;59(11):2790-98.
- Holt RI. Diagnosis, epidemiology and pathogenesis of diabetes mellitus: an update for psychiatrists. Br J Psychiatry. 2004;184(S47):s55-s63.
- Ohlendieck K. Pathobiochemical changes in diabetic skeletal muscle as revealed by mass-spectrometry-based proteomics. J Nutr Metab . 2012;1-12.
- Benhalima K, Song SH, Wilmot EG, Khunti K, Gray LJ, Lawrence I, et al. Characteristics, complications and management of a large multiethnic cohort of younger adults with type 2 diabetes. Prim Care Diabetes. 2011;5(4):245-50.
- Gunathilake W, Song S, Sridharan S, Fernando D, Idris I. Cardiovascular and metabolic risk profiles in young and old patients with type 2 diabetes. Int J Med. 2010;103(11):881-84.
- IJzerman TH, Schaper NC, Melai T, Meijer K, Willems PJ, Savelberg HH. Lower extremity muscle strength is reduced in people with type 2 diabetes, with and without polyneuropathy, and is associated with impaired mobility and reduced quality of life. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2012;95(3):345-51.
- Layne AS, Nasrallah S, South MA, Howell ME, McCurry MP, Ramsey MW, et al. Impaired muscle AMPK activation in the metabolic syndrome may attenuate improved insulin action after exercise training. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96(6):1815-26.
- Santos GMd, Montrezol FT, Pauli LSS, Sartori-Cintra AR, Colantonio E, Gomes RJ, et al. Undulatory physical resistance training program increases maximal strength in elderly type 2 diabetics. Einstein (São Paulo). 2014;12(4):425-32.
- Folland JP, Williams AG. Morphological and neurological contributions to increased strength. Sports Med. 2007;37(2):145-68.
- Tomas-Carus P, Ortega-Alonso A, Pietilainen KH, Santos V, Goncalves H, Ramos J, et al. A randomized controlled trial on the effects of combined aerobic-resistance exercise on muscle strength and fatigue, glycemic control and health-related quality of life of type 2 diabetes patients. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2016;56(5):572-78.
- Bazzucchi I, De Vito G, Felici F, Dewhurst S, Sgadari A, Sacchetti M. Effect of exercise training on neuromuscular function of elbow flexors and knee extensors of type 2 diabetic patients. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2015;25(5):815-23.
- Balducci S, Zanuso S, Fernando F, Fallucca S, Fallucca F, Pugliese G. Physical activity/exercise training in type 2 diabetes. The role of the Italian Diabetes and Exercise Study. Diabetes/Metabolism Res Rev. 2009;25(S1):S29-S33.
- Yang Z, Scott CA, Mao C, Tang J, Farmer AJ. Resistance exercise versus aerobic exercise for type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sports Med. 2014;44(4):487-99.
- Zanuso S, Balducci S, Jimenez A. Physical activity, a key factor to quality of life in type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetes/Metabolism Res Rev. 2009;25(S1):S24-S28.
- Asano RY, Sales MM, Browne RAV, Moraes JFVN, Júnior HJC, Moraes MR, et al. Acute effects of physical exercise in type 2 diabetes: a review. World J Diabetes. 2014;5(5):659.
- Colberg SR, Sigal RJ, Fernhall B, Regensteiner JG, Blissmer BJ, Rubin RR, et al. Exercise and type 2 diabetes: the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Diabetes Association: joint position statement. Diabetes Care. 2010;33(12):e147-e67.
- Sigal RJ, Kenny GP, Wasserman DH, Castaneda-Sceppa C, White RD. Physical activity/exercise and type 2 diabetes: a consensus statement from the American Diabetes Association. Diabetes Care. 2006;29(6):1433-38.
- Hovanec N, Sawant A, Overend TJ, Petrella RJ, Vandervoort AA. Resistance training and older adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus: strength of the evidence. J Aging Res. 2012;2012:1-12.
- Strasser B, Pesta D. Resistance training for diabetes prevention and therapy: experimental findings and molecular mechanisms. Biomed Res Int . 2013;2013:1-8.
- Almurdhi MM, Reeves ND, Bowling FL, Boulton AJ, Jeziorska M, Malik RA. Reduced lower-limb muscle strength and volume in patients with type 2 diabetes in relation to neuropathy, intramuscular fat, and vitamin D levels. Diabetes Care. 2016;39(3):441-47.
- Rezaian Z, Karimi MT, Eshraghi A, Fereshtehnejad N. Investigation of the effect of two types of shoe rockers on the performance of diabetic patients in standing and walking with emphasis on temporal-spatial parameters of walking and kinematics. J Res Sports Rehab. 2016;4(8):31-40. (in persian).
- Savelberg HH, Schaper NC, Willems PJ, De Lange TL, Meijer K. Redistribution of joint moments is associated with changed plantar pressure in diabetic polyneuropathy. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2009;10(1):16.
- Höhne A, Ali S, Stark C, Brüggemann G-P. Reduced plantar cutaneous sensation modifies gait dynamics, lower-limb kinematics and muscle activity during walking. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2012;112(11):3829-38.
- Watari R, Sartor CD, Picon AP, Butugan MK, Amorim CF, Ortega NR, et al. Effect of diabetic neuropathy severity classified by a fuzzy model in muscle dynamics during gait. J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2014;11(1):11.
- Orlando G, Balducci S, Bazzucchi I, Pugliese G, Sacchetti M. Neuromuscular dysfunction in type 2 diabetes: underlying mechanisms and effect of resistance training. Diabetes/Metabolism Res Rev. 2016;32(1):40-50.
- Bang H-S, Kim J-S. The Effects of Angular Velocity on Muscle strength of Biceps brachii. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2009;4(3):1-9.
- Park SW, Goodpaster BH, Strotmeyer ES, de Rekeneire N, Harris TB, Schwartz AV, et al. Decreased muscle strength and quality in older adults with type 2 diabetes: the health, aging, and body composition study. Diabetes. 2006;55(6):1813-18.
- Andersen H, Nielsen S, Mogensen CE, Jakobsen J. Muscle strength in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes. 2004;53(6):1543-48.
- Poletto P, Santos H, Salvini TF, Coury H, Hansson G. Peak torque and knee kinematics during gait after eccentric isokinetic training of quadriceps in healthy subjects. Braz J Phys Ther. 2008;12(4):331-37.
- Andreassen CS, Jakobsen J, Ringgaard S, Ejskjaer N, Andersen H. Accelerated atrophy of lower leg and foot muscles—a follow-up study of long-term diabetic polyneuropathy using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Diabetologia. 2009;52(6):1182-91.
- Handsaker JC, Brown SJ, Bowling FL, Maganaris CN, Boulton AJ, Reeves ND. Resistance exercise training increases lower limb speed of strength generation during stair ascent and descent in people with diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Diabet Med. 2016;33(1):97-104.
- Goldstein BJ, Müller-Wieland D. Type 2 diabetes: principles and practice: CRC Press; 2016.
- Miranda F, Simão R, Rhea M, Bunker D, Prestes J, Leite RD, et al. Effects of linear vs. daily undulatory periodized resistance training on maximal and submaximal strength gains. J Strength Cond Res. 2011;25(7):1824-30.