Document Type : Research Paper
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, University of Tabriz, Tabriz, Iran.
Department of Sport Biomechanics and Technology&mdash; Sport Science Research Institute &mdash;
Some sport activities such as skiing causes athletes to be constantly exposed to vibrations caused by rough terrain which can lead to muscle fatigue in many repetitions. The purpose of this study is to investigate the effects of musculoskeletal fatigue on vibration transmissibility coefficient and muscle activity in subjects are exposed to floor vibrations. For this purpose, 12 young men were exposed to floor vibrations in the squat mode at frequency of 12 Hz and intensity of 0.9 m/s2 to achieve complete fatigue. The results of this study show that the occurrence of the fatigue in the musculoskeletal system of the body increases the amount of both variables of the study simultaneously. In other words, increasing of the muscle activity alone does not indicate fatigue phenomenon. Because according to the results, increasing the amount of muscle activity without occurrence of the fatigue reduces the vibration transmissibility coefficient in the muscle.
- Moseley M, Greffin M. Effects of display vibration and whole-body vibration on visual performance. Ergonomics. 1986;29(8):977-83.
- Moseley M, Lewis C, Griffin M. Sinusoidal and random whole-body vibration: comparative effects on visual performance. Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine. 1982;53(10):1000-5.
- Bernard BP, Putz-Anderson V. Musculoskeletal disorders and workplace factors: A critical review of epidemiologic evidence for work-related musculoskeletal disorders of the neck, upper extremity, and low back; 1997. Available at: certisafety.com [ cited 2019 Sep 23 ]
- Seidel H, Heide R. Long-term effects of whole-body vibration: a critical survey of the literature. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health. 1986;58(1):1-26.
- Lings S, Leboeuf-Yde C. Whole-body vibration and low back pain: A systematic, critical review of the epidemiological literature 1992–1999. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health. 2000;73(5):290-7.
- Mani R, Milosavljevic S, Sullivan SJ. The effect of occupational whole-body vibration on standing balance: A systematic review. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics. 2010;40(6):698-709.
- Ishitake T, Kano M, Miyazaki Y, Ando H, Tsutsumi A, Matoba T. Whole-body vibration suppresses gastric motility in healthy men. Industrial Health. 1998;36(2):93-7.
- Dupuis H, Zerlett G. Whole-body vibration and disorders of the spine. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health. 1987;59(4):323-36.
- Blood R, Ploger J, Yost M, Ching R, Johnson P. Whole body vibration exposures in metropolitan bus drivers: A comparison of three seats. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2010;329(1):109-20.
- Hulshof C, Van Der Laan G, Braam I, Verbeek J. The fate of Mrs Robinson: Criteria for recognition of whole-body vibration injury as an occupational disease. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2002;253(1):185-94.
- Greenstein D, Kester R. Acute vibration—its effect on digital blood flow by central and local mechanisms. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine. 1992;206(2):105-8.
- Wakeling JM, Nigg BM, Rozitis AI. Muscle activity damps the soft tissue resonance that occurs in response to pulsed and continuous vibrations. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2002;93(3):1093-103.
- Lam FM, Liao L, Kwok TC, Pang MY. The effect of vertical whole-body vibration on lower limb muscle activation in elderly adults: Influence of vibration frequency, amplitude and exercise. Maturitas. 2016;88:59-64.
- Pollock RD, Woledge RC, Mills KR, Martin FC, Newham DJ. Muscle activity and acceleration during whole body vibration: effect of frequency and amplitude. Clinical Biomechanics. 2010;25(8):840-6.
- Krol P, Piecha M, Slomka K, Sobota G, Polak A, Juras G. The effect of whole-body vibration frequency and amplitude on the myoelectric activity of vastus medialis and vastus lateralis. Journal of Sports Science & Medicine. 2011;10(1):169-174.
- Ritzmann R, Gollhofer A, Kramer A. The influence of vibration type, frequency, body position and additional load on the neuromuscular activity during whole body vibration. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 2013;113(1):1-11.
- Perchthaler D, Hauser S, Heitkamp H-C, Hein T, Grau S. Acute effects of whole-body vibration on trunk and neck muscle activity in consideration of different vibration loads. Journal of Sports Science & Medicine. 2015;14(1):155-162.
- Small K, McNaughton L, Greig M, Lovell R. The effects of multidirectional soccer-specific fatigue on markers of hamstring injury risk. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2010;13(1):120-5.
- Borotikar BS, Newcomer R, Koppes R, McLean SG. Combined effects of fatigue and decision making on female lower limb landing postures: Central and peripheral contributions to ACL injury risk. Clinical Biomechanics. 2008;23(1):81-92.
- Miura K, Ishibashi Y, Tsuda E, Okamura Y, Otsuka H, Toh S. The effect of local and general fatigue on knee proprioception. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic & Related Surgery. 2004;20(4):414-8.
- Hargrave MD, Carcia CR, Gansneder BM, Shultz SJ. Subtalar pronation does not influence impact forces or rate of loading during a single-leg landing. Journal of Athletic Training. 2003;38(1):18-23.
- Dionisio VC, Almeida GL, Duarte M, Hirata RP. Kinematic, kinetic and EMG patterns during downward squatting. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 2008;18(1):134-43.
- Müller E, Kröll J, Lindinger S, Pfusterschmied J, Stöggl T. Science and Skiing VI: Meyer & Meyer Verlag; 2014.
- Pope M, Wilder D, Magnusson M. Possible mechanisms of low back pain due to whole-body vibration. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 1998;215(4):687-97.
- Devries HA. Method for evaluation of muscle fatigue and endurance from electromyographic fatigue curves. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 1968;47(3):125-35.
- Cho Y, Yoon Y-S. Biomechanical model of human on seat with backrest for evaluating ride quality. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics. 2001;27(5):331-45.
- Jalali P, Noorani M-RS, Hassannejad R, Ettefagh MM. Modeling the central nervous system functionality in controlling the calf muscle activity during running with sport shoes. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine. 2019;233(2):254-66.
- Jalali P, Hassannejad R, Ettefagh M, Noorani M-R. Optimal design of sport footwear with considering energy dissipation of lower limb soft-tissue during running. Science & Sports. 2020;35(6):405-412.
- Eklund G, Hagbarth K, editors. Motor effects of vibratory muscle stimuli in man. Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiolog.1965;19(6):619-628.
- Lebedev M, Poliakov A. Analysis of the interference electromyogram of human soleus muscle after exposure to vibration. Neurophysiology. 1991;23(1):57-65.
- Khassetarash A, Hassannejad R, Ettefagh MM, Sari-Sarraf V. Fatigue and soft tissue vibration during prolonged running. Human Movement Science. 2015;44:157-67.
- Burström L, Nilsson T, Wahlström J. Whole-body vibration and the risk of low back pain and sciatica: A systematic review and meta-analysis. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health. 2015;88(4):403-18.
- Bovenzi M, Schust M, Mauro M. An overview of low back pain and occupational exposures to whole-body vibration and mechanical shocks. La Medicina del Lavoro. 2017;108(6):419-33.
- McBride D, Paulin S, Herbison GP, Waite D, Bagheri N. Low back and neck pain in locomotive engineers exposed to whole-body vibration. Archives of Environmental & Occupational Health. 2014;69(4):207-13.
- Johanning E. Back disorders and health problems among subway train operators exposed to whole-body vibration. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health. 1991;17(6):414-419.
- Krause N, Ragland DR, Greiner BA, Fisher JM, Holman BL, Selvin S. Physical workload and ergonomic factors associated with prevalence of back and neck pain in urban transit operators. Spine. 1997;22(18):2117-26.
- Pope MH, Magnusson M, Wilder DG. Low back pain and whole body vibration. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research (1976-2007). 1998;354:241-248.