Document Type : Research Paper
PhD Candidate in Sports Biomechanics, Faculty of Sports Sciences and Physical Education, Central
Department of Physical education &amp; Sport Sciences, Kharazmi University
Assistant professor of sport biomechanics in Birjand University
Assistant Professor of Sport Biomechanics, Farhangian University, Tehran, Iran
The present study aimed to investigate the effect of one global fatigue stage on coordination and variability between upper extremity joints in elite rowers. Fourteen male rowers of the national team participated in this quasi-experimental study. A rowing ergometer device was used to create general fatigue until exhaustion. An inertial measurement device of units was also used for measuring kinematic parameters in 15 consecutive rowing cycles at the beginning and end of the fatigue protocol. The results showed that a session of global fatigue changes the level of coordination between the shoulder-trunk joints on the horizontal plane and the elbow-shoulder joints on the sagittal plane, as well as the level of variability between shoulder-trunk joints in the horizontal plane, elbow-shoulder joints in the sagittal plane and elbow-trunk joints in the sagittal plate. It can have negative effects on the performance of professional rowers and increases the risk of injuries caused by overuse. Due to results, considering the effect of fatigue on the lower extremities of the elite national rower athletes during the designation of training programs is an important issue.
- Rakovac M. Smoljanović T. Bojanić I. Hannafin JA. Hren D. Thomas P. Body size changes in elite junior rowers: 1997 to 2007. Coll Antropol. 2011: 35(1):127–31.
- Pollock C. Jones I. Jenkyn T. Ivanova T. Garland S. Changes in kinematics and trunk electromyography during a 2000 m race simulation in elite female rowers. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2012: 22(4):478–87.
- Hosea TM. Hannafin JA. Rowing injuries. Sports Health. 2012: 4(3): 236–45.
- Cramer JT. Housh TJ. Weir JP. Johnson GO. Coburn JW. Beck TW. The acute effects of static stretching on peak torque, mean power output, electromyography, and mechanomyography. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2005: 93(5–6): 530–9.
- Reid DA. Mcnair PJ. Factors contributing to low back pain in rowers. Br J Sports Med. 2000: 34(5): 321–2.
- Bigland‐Ritchie B. Woods JJ. Changes in muscle contractile properties and neural control during human muscular fatigue. Muscle Nerve Off J Am Assoc Electrodiagn Med. 1984: 7(9): 691–9.
- Hewett TE. Myer GD. Ford KR. Heidt Jr RS. Colosimo AJ. McLean SG. et al. Biomechanical measures of neuromuscular control and valgus loading of the knee predict anterior cruciate ligament injury risk in female athletes: a prospective study. Am J Sports Med. 2005: 33(4): 492–501.
- Chiu S-L. Chou L-S. Variability in inter-joint coordination during walking of elderly adults and its association with clinical balance measures. Clin Biomech. 2013: 28(4): 454–8.
- Hamill J. Knutzen KM. Biomechanical Basis of Human Movement. 3rd ed. Wolters Kluwer. 2009.
- Miller RH. Chang R. Baird JL. Van Emmerik REA. Hamill J. Variability in kinematic coupling assessed by vector coding and continuous relative phase. J Biomech. 2010: 43(13):2554–60.
- Drewes LK. McKeon PO. Paolini G. Riley P. Kerrigan DC. Ingersoll CD. et al. Altered ankle kinematics and shank-rear-foot coupling in those with chronic ankle instability. J Sport Rehabil. 2009:18(3):375–88.
- Cazzola D. Pavei G. Preatoni E. Can coordination variability identify performance factors and skill level in competitive sport? The case of race walking. J Sport Heal Sci. 2016:5(1):35–43.
- Hunter AM. Gibson ASC. Lambert M. Noakes TD. Electromyographic (EMG) normalization method for cycle fatigue protocols. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002:34(5):857–61.
- Chaharmahali L. Rafei M. Azadian E. Effects of shoulder complex muscles fatigue in hand’s fine and gross skills in volleyball players. J Rehabil Med. 2020:8(4):39-46 [in Persian].
- Côté JN. Mathieu PA. Levin MF. Feldman AG. Movement reorganization to compensate for fatigue during sawing. Exp brain Res. 2002:146(3):394–8.
- Côté JN. Raymond D. Mathieu PA. Feldman AG. Levin MF. Differences in multi-joint kinematic patterns of repetitive hammering in healthy, fatigued and shoulder-injured individuals. Clin Biomech. 2005:20(6):581–90.
- Fuller JR. Lomond KV. Fung J. Côté JN. Posture-movement changes following repetitive motion-induced shoulder muscle fatigue. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2009:19(6):1043–52.
- Cowley JC. Gates DH. Proximal and distal muscle fatigue differentially affect movement coordination. PLoS One. 2017:12(2):e0172835.
- Huffenus A-F. Amarantini D. Forestier N. Effects of distal and proximal arm muscles fatigue on multi-joint movement organization. Exp brain Res. 2006:170(4):438–47.
- Yang C. Leitkam S, Côté JN. Effects of different fatigue locations on upper body kinematics and inter-joint coordination in a repetitive pointing task. PLoS One. 2019:14(12):e0227247.
- Sanjari M. Mohseni S. Kamali M. Nikmaram M. Quantitative analysis of elbow range of motion variability due to muscular fatigue. Rehabilitation. 2014:14(4):99-105 [in Persian].
- Ahmadi M. Akbari M. Dadgoo M. Talebian S. Pahnabi G. The effect of lumbar muscle fatigue on postural control in Athlete and non-Athlete Subjects. J Mod Rehabil. 2015:9(2):8-15 [in Persian].
- Paillard T. Effects of general and local fatigue on postural control: a review. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2012:36(1):162–76.
- Joghatin Alibazi R. Nodehi Moghadam A. Zarrabi V. Bakhshi E. Nakhaei N. The effect of muscle fatigue on normal biomechanics of shoulder Girdle: a systematic review of the literature. Rehabilitation. 2015:16(3):242-250 [in Persian].
- Marcolin G. Lentola A. Paoli A. Petrone N. Rowing on a boat versus rowing on an ergo-meter: a biomechanical and electromyographycal preliminary study. Procedia Eng. 2015:112:461–6.
- Erdfelder E. Faul F. Buchner A. GPOWER: A general power analysis program. Behav Res methods, instruments, Comput. 1996:28(1):1–11.
- Damavandi M. Bakhshandeh-zahmati N. Fathi M. Upper Limbs Kinematics of Liberation Moment in the Elite Archers. J Sport Biomech. 2015:1(2):33-39 [in Persian].
- Rajabi R. Mohammadpour S. Kinematics of trunk and knee in sagittal plane with anterior tibia shear force during single leg landing. Sci J Kurdistan Univ Med Sci. 2014:19(2):47-56 [in Persian].
- Mansouri M. Jamshidi AA. Khalegh Tazji M. Eftekhari F. Effect of fatigue in different periods of simulated match protocol on selected kinematic variables and electromyography of futsal players’ lower limb. J Rehab Med. 2019:8(2):67-79 [in Persian].
- Turpin NA. Guével A. Durand S, Hug F. Effect of power output on muscle coordination during rowing. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2011:111(12):3017–29.
- Wilson F. Gormley J. Gissane C. Simms C. The effect of rowing to exhaustion on frontal plane angular changes in the lumbar spine of elite rowers. J Sports Sci. 2012:30(14):1481–9.
- Greene AJ. Sinclair PJ. Dickson MH. Colloud F. Smith RM. The effect of ergometer design on rowing stroke mechanics. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2013:23(4):468–77.
- Soper C. Hume PA. Towards an ideal rowing technique for performance. Sport Med. 2004:34(12):825–48.
- Jafarnezhadgero A. Sadri A. The effects of foot orthoses on lower limb intra-joint coordination variability during walking in children with flexible flat foot. J Appl Exerc Physiol. 2019:14(28):89-100 [in Persian].
- Kotrlik J. Williams H. The incorporation of effect size in information technology, learning, information technology, learning, and performance research and performance research. Inf Technol Learn Perform J. 2003:21(1):1.
- Chopp J. O’Neill J. Hurley K. Dickerson C. Superior humeral head migration occurs after a protocol designed to fatigue the rotator cuff: a radiographic analysis. J shoulder Elb Surg. 2010:19(8):1137–44.
- Talty P, Anderson R. Effect of fatigue on the coordination variability in rowers. In: ISBS-Conference Proceedings Archive. 2009.
- Miarka B. Dal Bello F. Brito CJ. Vaz M. Del Vecchio FB. Biomechanics of rowing: kinematic, kinetic and electromyographic aspects. J Phys Educ Sport. 2018;18(1):193–202.
- Holt P. Bull A. Cashman P. McGregor A. Kinematics of spinal motion during prolonged rowing. Int J Sports Med. 2003:24(08):597–602.
- Missenard O. Mottet D. Perrey S. The role of cocontraction in the impairment of movement accuracy with fatigue. Exp Brain Res. 2008:185:151–6.