Document Type : Research Paper
Student / Azad University, Central Tehran Branch
Central Tehran Azad University - Faculty of Physical Education
Assistant Professor, Sports Biomechanics Department, Physical Education and Sports Sciences Faculty,science Committee Islamic Azad University of Central Tehran Branch, Tehran, Iran
The aim of the present study was to investigate the effect of a combined training course on selected biomechanical variables of the elderly active male athlete. 40 active elderly men participated in this study voluntarily in two groups. The experimental group practiced in a combined training program and the control group continued to perform their daily activities during this period. To compare the results before and after exercise in each group, Parametric Paired t test and non-parametric Wilcoxon test were executed using SPSS ver. 21. The results show that a combined training session was not significant in posture control and gait function, but can be effective in improving motor control, balance in active older men and reducing the risk of falls.
- Organization WH. Social development and ageing: crisis or opportunity. Geneva: World Health Organization. 2000.
- Hasanvand H, Bagheri Sabzevar A, Moradi H, Norasteh A. Comparing the Musculoskeletal Profile of the Elderly with and Without History of Falling. Salmand: Iranian Journal of Ageing. 2015; 10 (3) :72-81. (In Persian)
- Potter PA, Perry AGE, Hall AE, Stockert PA. Fundamentals of nursing: Elsevier mosby; 2009.
- Young WR, Ellmers TJ, Kinrade NP, Cossar J, Cocks AJ. Re-evaluating the measurement and influence of conscious movement processing on gait performance in older adults: Development of the Gait-Specific Attentional Profile. Gait & Posture. 2020;81:73-7
- Hosseini F S, Hatamnezhad O. Relationship Between Self-Regulation and Balance-Confidence in Active and Inactive Elderly Men . Salmand: Iranian Journal of Ageing. 2018; 12 (4) :470-481. (In Persian).
- Goharpi, Shahin, Ahvaz G, Mehravar, Mohammad, Roozbehfar, et al. Comparison of the effect of cognitive task on dynamic posture control in patients with functional ankle instability. Adapted and healthy. Jundishapur Medical Scientific Journal. 2019; 17 (6): 597-606. (In Persian).
- Amrani A, Foroghan M, Seiadat S, Ladi A. Characteristics of Falls in Nursing Home Residents. Elderly. 2006 (2):101-5. (Persian)
- Tuna HD, Edeer AO, Malkoc M, Aksakoglu G. Effect of age and physical activity level on functional fitness in older adults. European review of aging and physical activity. 2009;6(2):99.
- Stewart KJ. Physical activity and aging. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2005;1055(1):193-206.
- Hosseini SS, Allahyari MA, Rostamkhani H, Jalili M. Comparison the effect of attention source on balance test performance in elderly subjects. Journal of Applied Sciences Research 2011; 7(7): 942-945.
- 11. Sadeghi H, Montazer M, Norozi H, Karimiasl A. Functional Training Program Effect on Static and Dynamic Balance in Male Ablebodied Elderly. Salmand 2008, 3(2): 565-571.
- Asadi Shavaki M, Salehi L. The Study of Physical Activity AmongElderly of Karaj City and its Relationship with Some the Demographic Factors. Alborz University Medical Journal. 2016;5. (In Persian)
- Mosayebi Samani Kh, Davari F, Faramarzi M. The Effects of Combined Aerobic and Balance Training on Balance in Elderly Women. (Persian). Iranian Journal of Ageing. 2015; 10(1):26-35.
- Qi M, Moyle W, Jones C, Weeks B. Tai Chi combined with resistance training for adults aged 50 years and older: a systematic review. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2020;43(1):32-41.
- Farsi A, Abdoli B, Baraz P. Effect of Balance, Strength, and Combined Training on the Balance of the Elderly Women. Salmand: Iranian Journal of Ageing. 2015; 10 (3) :54-61. (In Persian)
- Sousa N, Mendes R, Silva A, Oliveira J. Combined exercise is more effective than aerobic exercise in the improvement of fall risk factors: a randomized controlled trial in community-dwelling older men. Clinical rehabilitation. 2017;31(4):478-86.
- Ahmadi M, Noudehi M, Esmaeili M, Sadrollahi A. Comparing the Quality of Life Between Active and Non-Active Elderly Women With an Emphasis on Physical Activity. Salmand: Iranian Journal of Ageing. 2017; 12 (3) :262-275. (In Persian).
- Rugelj D, Vauhnik R. Is the use of pedometers feasible for identifying the volume and intensity of a balance specific exercise programme for older adults? Baltic Journal of Health and Physical Activity. 2018;10(4):81-8.
- Turner N, Jones D, Dawson P, Tait B. The perceptions and rehabilitation experience of older people after falling in the hospital. Rehabilitation Nursing Journal. 2019;44(3):141-50.
- Teixeira-Salmela LF, Nadeau S, Mcbride I, Olney SJ. Effects of muscle strengthening and physical conditioning training on temporal, kinematic and kinetic variables during gait in chronic stroke survivors. Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil; 2001. 33(2): 53-60.
- Andre LF, Ricardo MS, Carlos U, Fabiano C, Neil EF. Transient effects of stretching exercises on gait parameters of elderly women. J Manual Ther; 2009.14(2): 167-172.
- Villareal DT. Smith GI. Sinacore DR. Shah K. Mittendorfer B. Regular multicomponent exercise increases physical fitness and muscle protein anabolism in frail, obese, older adults. Obesity. 2011; 19:312–318. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar].
- Izquierdo M. Casas A. Zambóm F. Millor N. Martínez-Ramirez A. Marcellán T. Gordoa AR. Cía F. Lecumberri P. Gómez M. Resistance training induces positive effects on risk of falls, muscle strength, and dual task performance in oldest old institutionalized frail patients. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2012;44:669.
- Aslan UB, Cavlak U, Yagci N, Akdag B. Balance performance, aging and falling: a comparative study based on a Turkish sample. Archives of gerontology and geriatrics. 2008;46(3):283-92.
- Mosadegh. Y. The Effect of Cognitive Task on Postural Sway in Multiple Sclerosis Patients. Motor Behavior. Fall 2017; 9 (29): 17-32. (In Persian).
- Akbari Kamrani AA, Zamani Sani H, Fathi Rezaie Z, Farsi A, Aghdasi M. Investigation of Factor Structure of Persian Version of Functional Gait Assessment in Iranian Elderly. Salmand: Iranian Journal of Ageing. 2010;5(3):0-. eng. (In Persian).
- Dobrosielski DA, Gibbs BB, Ouyang P, Bonekamp S, Clark JM, Wang N-Y, et al. Effect of exercise on blood pressure in type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of general internal medicine. 2012;27(11):1453-9.
- Damirchi A, Chiti H, Faghihzadeh S, Hakmai Zanjani M. The effect of eight weeks of combined aerobic and resistance exercise on impaired fasting glucose (IFG), impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) and HbA1c in pre-diabetic patients. J Adv Med Biomed Res. 2017;25(113):13-23. (In Persian).
- Khajavi D, Khanmohamadi R. The effect of "green exercise" on improving the sleep quality of female elderly without regularphysical activity in Arak city. Journal of women and family studies. Fall-Winter2015, Volume 3, number2. Pages7 to 32. (In Persian).
- Ghasempour L, Hoseini F S, Soleymani M, Ahmadi M. Effects of Physical Fitness Exercise, Mental Exercise and Mindfulness Exercise on Static and Dynamic Balance in Elderly Women. Salmand: Iranian Journal of Ageing. 2017; 12 (2) :180-191. (In Persian)
- Seghatoleslami A, Hemmati Afif A, Irandoust K, Taheri M. Effect of pilates exercises on motor performance and low back pain in elderly women with abdominal obesity. Iranian Journal of Ageing. 2018;13(3):396-404. (In Persian).
- Rodrigues GD, Gurgel JL, dos Santos Galdino I, da Nóbrega ACL, da Silva Soares PP. Respiratory Pump Contributions in Cerebrovascular and Postural Control Responses during Orthostatic Stress in Older Women. Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology. 2020:103384.
- Wikstrom EA, Powers ME, Tillman MD. Dynamic stabilization time after isokinetic and functional fatigue. Journal of Athletic Training. 2004;39(3):247.
- Wayne PM, Krebs DE, Wolf SL, Gill-Body KM, Scarborough DM, McGibbon CA, et al. Can Tai Chi improve vestibulopathic postural control? Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 2004;85(1):142-52.
- Rafati A G, Eslami M, Mirdar S. The Effect of a Nine-Weeks Training Program on The Center of Pressure Indicators With Open and Closed Eyes Condition in the Elderly Male. jrehab. 2018; 19 (1). (In Persian).
- Zareiy H, Norasteh A, Koohboomi M. Effect of Combined Training Strength and Stretching) on Balance, Risk of Falling, and Quality of Life in the Elderly. J Rehab Med. 2018; 7(2): 201-208. doi. 10.22037/jrm.2017.110651.1433. (In Persian).
- Faraji A M, Shojauddin S S. 2016. The effect of 8 weeks of stabilization exercises on the static and dynamic balance of healthy old men. The first national conference on developments in sports science in the field of health, prevention and championship, Qazvin, Imam Khomeini International University. (In Persian)
- Rodacki AL, Souza RM, Ugrinowitsch C, Cristopoliski F, Fowler NE. Transient effects of stretching exercises on gait parameters of elderly women. Manual therapy. 2009;14(2):167-72.
- Kerrigan DC, Lee LW, Collins JJ, Riley PO, Lipsitz LA. Reduced hip extension during walking: healthy elderly and fallers versus young adults. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 2001;82(1):26-30.
- Wrisley DM, Marchett GF, Kuharsky DK, Whitney SL .Reliability, internal consistency, & validity of data obtained with the functional gait assessment. Physical Therapy 2004; 84(10): 906-916.
- Farhan V, Abbasi A, Tabatabaei Ghomshe F, Khaleghi Tazaji M, Jafarnrzhad Gero A. Effect of Combined Trainings (Rom improvement, Muscle strengthening, Balance training and Gait training) on Balance and Risk for Falling in Older Women with Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. J Rehab Med. 2019; 8(2): 97-105. (In Persian)
- Hosseinpour S, Behpour N, Tadibi V, Ramezankhani A. Effect of Cognitive-motor Exercises on Physical Health and Cognitive Status in Elderly. Iran J Health Educ Health Promot. 2017; 5 (4) :336- 344. (In Persian)
- Rasafiani M, Shamsi Pour D P, Ghorat F, Sahhaf R. The effect of pedometer using on increasing physical activity in workplace. Journal of Sabzevar University of Medical Sciences. 23, Volume 22, Number 5, December and January 2015, Pages 909-918. (In Persian)
- Fathi Rezaie Z, Aslankhani M A, Abdoli B, Farsi A, Aghdasi M T, Zamani sani H. The Comparison of Falling Risk of Elderly by Speed Gait Test Under Dual Tasks Conditions. Salmand: Iranian Journal of Ageing. 2010; 5 (2). (In Persian)
- Rehabil. De Bruin ED, Murer K. Effect of additional functional exercises on balance in elderly people. Clin. 2007;21(2):112–21
- Manini T, Marko M, Varnam T, Cook S, Fernhall B, Burke J, Ploutz SL. Efficacy of resistance and task-specefic exercise in older adults who modify tasks of everyday life. J Gerontol 2007;62:616-23.
- Judge JO, Whipple RH, Wolfson LI. Effects of resistive and balance exercises on isokinetic strength in older persons. J Am Geriatr Soc1994;42(9):937–46.
- Lindenberg U, Marsiske M, Baltes B. Memorizing while walking: increase in dual-task costs from young adulthood to old age. Psychol Aging2000;15: 417-36.