Document Type : Research Paper
Bu-Ali Sina University
The current study aimed comparison functional tests scores in football players with and without chronic ankle instability. 26 athletes with CAI and 26 healthy athletes selected as sample. The Y test was used to assess balance, the McGill test for core stability, the landing error scoring system to assess landing mechanics, the single-leg timed hop to evaluate performance, and the tuck jumps to identify neuromuscular defects. Multivariate analysis of variance was used to analyze the data. The results of showed that there was a significant difference between the single-leg timed hop test, trunk extensor muscle endurance, trunk flexor muscle endurance, there is a posteromedial balance and a posterolateral balance between the two groups (P≤0.05). With respect to the results of the present study, it is recommended to coaches use filed based tests to identify functional defects in athletes with chronic ankle instability to design prevention and rehabilitation programs.
- Whalan M, Lovell R, McCunn R, Sampson JA. The incidence and burden of time loss injury in Australian men's sub-elite football (soccer): A single season prospective cohort study. J Sci Med Sport. 2019;22(1):42-7.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2018.05.024.
- Waterman BR, Belmont PJ, Cameron KL, DeBerardino TM, Owens BD. Epidemiology of ankle sprain at the United States Military Academy. The American journal of sports medicine. 2010; 38(4):797-803.https://doi.org/ 1177/0363546509350757.
- Shah S, Thomas AC, Noone JM, Blanchette CM, Wikstrom EA. Incidence and cost of ankle sprains in United States emergency departments. Sports health. 2016;8(6):547-52. https://doi.org/10.1177/1941738116659639.
- Gribble PA, Delahunt E, Bleakley C, Caulfield B, Docherty C, Fourchet F, et al. Selection criteria for patients with chronic ankle instability in controlled research: a position statement of the International Ankle Consortium. Journal of orthopaedic & sports physical therapy. 2013; 43(8):585-91. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2013-093175.
- Wikstrom E, Song K, Tennant J, Dederer K, Paranjape C, Pietrosimone B. T1ρ MRI of the talar articular cartilage is increased in those with chronic ankle instability. Osteoarthritis and cartilage. 2019;27(4):646-9.https://doi.org/10.1016/j. joca.2018.12.019.
- Kramer L, Denegar C, Buckley WE, Hertel J. Factors associated with anterior cruciate ligament injury: history in female athletes. Journal of sports medicine and physical fitness. 2007;47(4):446. https://doi.org/10.1177/1941738116659639.
- Hertel J, Corbett RO. An updated model of chronic ankle instability. Journal of athletic training. 2019;54(6):572-88. https://doi.org/10.4085/1062-6050-344-18.
- Tropp H. Commentary: functional ankle instability revisited. Journal of athletic training. 2002;37(4):512.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC164386.
- Karbalaeimahdi M, Alizadeh M, Minoonejad H. Comparison of Single-Leg Balance Test in Healthy Athletes with Chronic Ankle Instability (Noncoper) and Coper. Journal of Paramedical Sciences & Rehabilitation. 2020;9(3):51-61. [In Persian] https://doi.org/22038/JPSR.2020.39003.1925.
- Ross SE, Guskiewicz KM, Yu Single-leg jump-landing stabilization times in subjects with functionally unstable ankles. Journal of athletic training. 2005;40(4):298.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1323291.
- Linens SW, Ross SE, Arnold BL, Gayle R, Pidcoe P. Postural-stability tests that identify individuals with chronic ankle instability. Journal of athletic training. 2014;49(1):15-23. https://doi.org/10.4085/1062-6050-48.6.09.
- Riemann BL. Is there a link between chronic ankle instability and postural instability? Journal of athletic training. 2002;37(4):386. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC164370.
- OZMEN T. Relationship between core stability, dynamic balance and jumping performance in soccer players. Turkish Journal of Sport and Exercise. 2016;18(1):110-3. https://doi.org/10.15314/tjse.93545.
- Kennedy JC, Alexander IJ, Hayes KC. Nerve supply of the human knee and its functional importance. The American journal of sports medicine. 1982;10(6):329-35.https://doi.org/10.1177/036354658201000601.
- Gribble PA, Robinson RH. Alterations in knee kinematics and dynamic stability associated with chronic ankle instability. Journal of athletic training. 2009; 44(4):350.https://doi.org/10.4085/1062-6050-44.4.350.
- Harriss J, Khan A, Song K, Register-Mihalik JK, Wikstrom EA. Clinical movement assessments do not differ between collegiate athletes with and without chronic ankle instability. Physical Therapy in Sport. 2019;36:22-7.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ptsp.2018.12.009.
- De Ridder R, Willems T, Vanrenterghem J, Robinson MA, Roosen P. Lower limb landing biomechanics in subjects with chronic ankle instability. Medicine and science in sports and exercise. 2015;47(6):1225-31.http://dx.doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0000000000000525.
- Barati A, Safarcherati A, Aghayari A, Azizi F, Abbasi H. Evaluation of relationship between trunk muscle endurance and static balance in male students. Asian journal of sports medicine. 2013;4(4):289. https://doi.org/5812/asjsm.34250
- Hammami R, Behm DG, Chtara M, Othman AB, Chaouachi A. Comparison of static balance and the role of vision in elite athletes. Journal of human kinetics. 2014;41:33. https://doi.org/10.2478/hukin-2014-0030
- Jarvis AS. The association between measures of core stability and biomechanics of the trunk and knee during a single leg squat: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; 2010.https://doi.org/10.17615/rcqt-7m10.
- Denyer JR, Hewitt NL, Mitchell AC. Foot structure and muscle reaction time to a simulated ankle sprain. Journal of athletic training. 2013;48(3):326-30. https://doi.org/10.4085/1062-6050-48.2.15.
- Razeghi A, Rahnama N, Shokri E, Ghanbari A. Evaluation of Endurance of Core Muscles in Female Athletes with Chronic Ankle Instability. Journal of Paramedical Sciences & Rehabilitation. 2017;6(1):47-57. [In Persian] https://dx.doi.org/10.22038/jpsr.
- McCann RS, Johnson K, Suttmiller AM. Lumbopelvic Stability and Trunk Muscle Contractility of Individuals with Chronic Ankle Instability. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy. 2021;16(3):741.https://doi.org/10.26603/001c.22132.
- Abbaszadeh A, Delavari Comparing Balance, Function, Strength and Endurance of Selected Core Muscles in Male Volleyball Players with and Without a Chronic Ankle Sprain in Bandar Abbas in 2018: A Descriptive Study. Journal of Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences. 2019;18(3):251-66. [In Persian] http://journal.rums.ac.ir/article-1-4352-en.html.
- Mirkarimpour SH, Falah Mohamaddi M, Alizadeh MH. Effect of functional fatigue on landing mechanics using Landing Error Scoring System (LESS). Research in Sport Medicine and Technology. 2015;13(9):23-36. [In Persian] http://jsmt.khu.ac.ir/article-1-123-en.html
- Abdallah AA, Mohamed NA, Hegazy MA. A comparative study of core musculature endurance and strength between soccer players with and without lower extremity sprain and strain injury. International journal of sports physical therapy. 2019 Jul;14(4):525. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31440405
- Hadadi M, Ebrahimi Takamjani I, Ebrahim Mosavi M, Aminian G, Fardipour S, Abbasi F. Cross-cultural adaptation, reliability, and validity of the Persian version of the Cumberland Ankle Instability Tool. Disability and rehabilitation. 2017;39(16):1644-9. https://doi.org/10.1080/09638288.2016.1207105
- Wright CJ, Arnold BL, Ross SE, Linens SW. Recalibration and validation of the Cumberland Ankle Instability Tool cutoff score for individuals with chronic ankle instability. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 2014;95(10):1853-9.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2014.04.017.
- Hale SA, Hertel J, Olmsted-Kramer LC. The effect of a 4-week comprehensive rehabilitation program on postural control and lower extremity function in individuals with chronic ankle instability. Journal of orthopaedic & sports physical therapy. 2007;37(6):303-11. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2007.2322.
- Smith CA, Chimera NJ, Warren M. Association of y balance test reach asymmetry and injury in division I athletes. Medicine and science in sports and exercise. 2015;47(1):136-41 http://dx.doi.org/1249/MSS.0000000000000380.
- Mohammadi H, Daneshmandi H, Alizadeh M, Shams Majalan A. Check Neuromuscular effective screening tests in non-contact anterior cruciate ligament injury. Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences. 2015;20:105-85. [In Persian] http://sjku.muk.ac.ir/article-1-1749-en.html
- Padua DA, Boling MC, DiStefano LJ, Onate JA, Beutler AI, Marshall SW. Reliability of the landing error scoring system-real time, a clinical assessment tool of jump-landing biomechanics. Journal of sport rehabilitation. 2011;20(2):145-56. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsr.20.2.145.
- Nadia A, Youssif RS, Karima A. Frontal Plane Projection Angle during Step Down Test in Subjects With and Without Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome. The Medical Journal of Cairo University. 2019;87(March):1233-9.http://dx.doi.org/10.21608/mjcu.2019.53343.
- Padua DA, Marshall SW, Boling MC, Thigpen CA, Garrett Jr WE, Beutler AI. The Landing Error Scoring System (LESS) is a valid and reliable clinical assessment tool of jump-landing biomechanics: the JUMP-ACL study. The American journal of sports medicine. 2009;37(10):1996-2002.https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546509343200.
- Herrington L, Myer GD, Munro A. Intra and inter-tester reliability of the tuck jump assessment. Physical Therapy in Sport. 2013;14(3):152-5.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ptsp.2012.05.005.
- Hewett TE, Myer GD. The mechanistic connection between the trunk, knee, and anterior cruciate ligament injury. Exercise and sport sciences reviews. 2011;39(4):161.https://doi.org/10.1097/JES.0b013e3182297439.
- Okada T, Huxel KC, Nesser TW. Relationship between core stability, functional movement, and performance. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2011;25(1):252-61.https://doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181b22b3e.
- MORADI K, MINOONEJAD H, RAJABI R. The immediate effect of core stability exercises on postural sway in athletes with functional ankle instability. Research on Biosciences and Physical Actiuity.2016; 3(4): 17-24. [In Persian] https://rbpa.usb.ac.ir/article_4181_214315f75b0073f4fb7ff379cf3368cf.
- Pozzi F, Moffat M, Gutierrez G. Neuromuscular control during performance of a dynamic balance task in subjects with and without ankle instability. International journal of sports physical therapy. 2015;10(4):520.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4527199
- Jaber H, Lohman E, Daher N, Bains G, Nagaraj A, Mayekar P, et al. Neuromuscular control of ankle and hip during performance of the star excursion balance test in subjects with and without chronic ankle instability. PloS one. 2018;13(8):e0201479. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0201479.
- Farrokhi S, Pollard CD, Souza RB, Chen Y-J, Reischl S, Powers CM. Trunk position influences the kinematics, kinetics, and muscle activity of the lead lower extremity during the forward lunge exercise. journal of orthopaedic & sports physical therapy. 2008;38(7):403-9.https://www.jospt.org/doi/10.2519/jospt.2008.2634
- Webster KA, Gribble PA. A comparison of electromyography of gluteus medius and maximus in subjects with and without chronic ankle instability during two functional exercises. Physical therapy in sport. 2013;14(1):17-22.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ptsp.2012.02.002.
- Lee S-P, Powers CM. Individuals with diminished hip abductor muscle strength exhibit altered ankle biomechanics and neuromuscular activation during unipedal balance tasks. Gait & posture. 2014;39(3):933-8.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2013.12.004.
- Carvalho APdMC, Almeida GPL, Magalhães MO, França FJR, Ramos LAV, Comachio J, et al. Dynamic postural stability and muscle strength in patellofemoral pain: Is there a correlation? The Knee. 2016;23(4):616-21.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knee.2016.04.013
- MacKinnon CD, Winter DA. Control of whole-body balance in the frontal plane during human walking. Journal of biomechanics. 1993; 26(6):633-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(93)90027-C
- Kunugi S, Masunari A, Yoshida N, Miyasaka S. Postural stability and lower leg muscle activity during a diagonal single-leg landing differs in male collegiate soccer players with and without functional ankle instability. The Journal of Physical Fitness and Sports Medicine. 2017; 6(4):257-65.https://doi.org/10.7600/jpfsm.6.257.
- Suda EY, Sacco IC. Altered leg muscle activity in volleyball players with functional ankle instability during a sideward lateral cutting movement. Physical therapy in sport. 2011; 12(4):164-70.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ptsp.2011.01.003.
- Gordon AT, Ambegaonkar JP, Caswell SV. Relationships between core strength, hip external rotator muscle strength, and star excursion balance test performance in female lacrosse players. International journal of sports physical therapy. 2013;8 (2):97. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23593547
- Shokouhi E, Norasteh AA, Shamsi Majelan A, Sanjari MA. The comparison of postural stability in soccer players with and without chronic ankle injury in jump and landing functional test. Journal of Practical Studies of Biosciences in Sport. 2015;3(5):67-77. [In Persian] https://dx.doi.org/10.22077/jpsbs.2015.16 .
- Caffry E, Docherty CL, Schrader J, Klossner J. The ability of 4 single-limb hopping tests to detect functional performance deficits in individuals with functional ankle instability. Journal of orthopaedic & sports physical therapy. 2009; 39(11):799-806. https://www.jospt.org/doi/10.2519/jospt.2009.3042 .
- Demeritt KM, Shultz SJ, Docherty CL, Gansneder BM, Perrin DH. Chronic ankle instability does not affect lower extremity functional performance. Journal of athletic training. 2002;37(4):507.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC164385.
- Madsen LP, Hall EA, Docherty CL. Assessing outcomes in people with chronic ankle instability: the ability of functional performance tests to measure deficits in physical function and perceived instability. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 2018; 48(5):372-80.https://www.jospt.org/doi/10.2519/jospt.2018.7514.
- Clanton TO, Matheny LM, Jarvis HC, Jeronimus AB. Return to play in athletes following ankle Sports Health. 2012; 4(6):471-4. https://doi.org/10.1177/1941738112463347.
- Doherty C, Bleakley C, Hertel J, Caulfield B, Ryan J, Delahunt E. Single‐leg drop landing movement strategies 6 months following first‐time acute lateral ankle sprain injury. Scandinavian journal of medicine & science in sports. 2015; 25(6):806-17. https://doi.org/10.1111/sms.12390.
- Santello M, McDonough MJ. The control of timing and amplitude of EMG activity in landing movements in humans. Experimental Physiology. 1998; 83(6):857-74. https://doi.org/10.1113/expphysiol.1998.sp004165.
- Helbostad JL, Sturnieks DL, Menant J, Delbaere K, Lord SR, Pijnappels M. Consequences of lower extremity and trunk muscle fatigue on balance and functional tasks in older people: a systematic literature review. BMC geriatrics. 2010; 10(1):1-8.https://doi.org/ 10.1186/1471-2318-10-56.
- Sharrock C, Cropper J, Mostad J, Johnson M, Malone T. A pilot study of core stability and athletic performance: is there a relationship? International journal of sports physical therapy. 2011;6(2):63. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3109894.
- Lin C-I, Khajooei M, Engel T, Nair A, Heikkila M, Kaplick H, et al. The effect of chronic ankle instability on muscle activations in lower extremities. Plos one. 2021;16(2):e0247581. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0247581.
- Nadler SF, Malanga GA, Bartoli LA, Feinberg JH, Prybicien M, DePrince M. Hip muscle imbalance and low back pain in athletes: influence of core strengthening. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2002;34(1):9-16.https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11782641
- Pourheydari S, Sheikhhoseini R, Hosseini SG. Correlation between the functional movement screen (FMS) test with dynamic balance and core endurance in male and female volleyball players in Kerman province. Journal of Clinical Physiotherapy Research. 2018;3(2):64-9.https://doi.org/10.22037/jcpr.v3i2.22256.