Document Type : Research Paper
Department of Health &amp; Sport Medicine Faculty of Physical education &amp; Sport Sciences University of Tehran,
Health and sports rehabilitation dep, Shahid Beheshti university, Tehran, Iran
phd student of Physical Education, University of Tehran, Kish Campus
The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of selected TRX exercises on functional stability,proprioception and strength of shoulder joint muscles in athletes with scapular dyskinesis.The present study is a semi-experimental study with pre-test and post-test design.For this purpose,30 male athletes of overhead athletes with scapular dyskinesis were randomly divided into training and control 15 person in each group.Athletes with scapular dyskinesis were identified using a lateral scapular slide test.In the pre-test, the strength of internal and external rotator cuff muscles,functional stability and accuracy of shoulder joint proprioception were evaluated by manual dynamometer tests,upper body functional balance test and imaging method, respectively.The subjects in the training group then performed the selected TRX exercises for 8 weeks and 3 sessions per week.At the end of 8 weeks,all measurements of the pre-test were performed again in the post-test stage.A Two-way analysis of variance was used to statistically analyze the research findings at a significance level of P≤0.05.The results of two-way analysis of variance showed that in the post-test stage, rotational muscle strength(P=0.001),functional stability(P=0.001) and accuracy of shoulder joint proprioception(P=0.001) of the experimental group significantly improved compared to the control group.According to the results of the study, it is According to the improvement in rotational muscle strength, functional stability and accuracy of shoulder joint proprioception in TRX group,it is suggested that the TRX exercises used in the present study can use to improve the disorders caused by scapular dyskinesia in overhead athletes and to prevent possible injuries to the shoulder joint.
- Asker M, Brooke HL, Waldén M, Tranaeus U, Johansson F, Skillgate E, et al. Risk factors for, and prevention of, shoulder injuries in overhead sports: a systematic review with best-evidence synthesis. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2018;52(20):1312-9.
- Hajihosseini E, Norasteh AA, Daneshmandi H. Comparison of isometric strength and functional stability of shoulder girdle muscles in volleyball women players with and without scapular dyskinesia. Journal of Health Promotion Management. 2019;8(5):24-32.
- Pashaei Z, Daneshmandi H, Norasteh AA, Fatahi A. Effect scapular movement impairment on Functional Stability of Shoulder Girdle and scapulohumeral rhythm in elite men volleyball players. The Scientific Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2021.
- Nodehi Moghadam A, Vahabi SP, Norasteh AA, Abolhasani H. Comparing isometric strengths of shoulder girdle muscles in females with and without scapular dyskinesis. Archives of Rehabilitation. 2018;19(2):92-101.
- Merolla G, De Santis E, Campi F, Paladini P, Porcellini G. Supraspinatus and infraspinatus weakness in overhead athletes with scapular dyskinesis: strength assessment before and after restoration of scapular musculature balance. Musculoskeletal Surgery. 2010;94(3):119-25.
- Seitz AL, McClelland RI, Jones WJ, Jean RA, Kardouni JR. A comparison of change in 3D scapular kinematics with maximal contractions and force production with scapular muscle tests between asymptomatic overhead athletes with and without scapular dyskinesis. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy. 2015;10(3):309.
- Eyvazi Hazeh Baran A, Ghani Zadeh Hesar N, Mohammad Ali Nasasb Firouzjah E, Roshani S. Effect of eight weeks of scapular stabilization exercises on shoulder proprioception and performance of archers with scapular dyskinesis. The Scientific Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2020;9(4):52-61.
- Saadatian A, Sahebozamani M, Karimi M, Sadegi M, Amiri Khorasani M. The effect of 8-week total body resistant suspension exercises on shoulder joint proprioception in overhead athletes with impingement syndrome: a randomized clinical trial study. Journal of Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences. 2019;17(12):1095-106.
- Saadatian A, Sahebalzamani M, Amiri Khorasani M, Karimi M, Sadeghi M. Effect of Two types of exercises on the strength ratio of shoulder muscles in overhead athletes with shoulder impingement syndrome. Journal of Paramedical Sciences & Rehabilitation. 2019;8(3):45-55.
- Kuhkamar MMZ, Hadadnezhad M, Tazji MK. The effect of eight weeks' scapular focused training on pain, proprioception, scapular kinematics and upper extremity performance in male volleyball players with shoulder impingement syndrome: a randomized clinical trial study. Medical Journal of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences. 2020:42(4):466-75.
- Kibler BW, Sciascia A, Wilkes T. Scapular dyskinesis and its relation to shoulder injury. JAAOS-Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2012;20(6):364-72.
- Zaman BA, Basumatary B, Borah C. Scapular asymmetry among elite swimmers of Jorhat district using Lateral Scapular Slide Test. Indian Journal of Physiotherapy & Occupational Therapy. 2021;15(1):1-8.
- Hannah DC, Scibek JS, Carcia CR. Strength profiles in healthy individuals with and without scapular dyskinesis. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy. 2017;12(3):305.
- Gorman PP, Butler RJ, Plisky PJ, Kiesel KB. Upper Quarter Y Balance Test: reliability and performance comparison between genders in active adults. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2012;26(11):3043-8.
- Shakeri H, Keshavarz R, Arab AM, Ebrahimi I. Clinical effectiveness of kinesiological taping on pain and pain‐free shoulder range of motion in patients with shoulder impingement syndrome: a randomized, double blinded, placebo‐controlled trial. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy. 2013;8(6):800.
- Abdollahi I, Allahverdloo E. Reliability of image capture technique for the measurement of upper limb active joint position sense in healthy adults. Archives of Rehabilitation. 2021;22(2):246-59.
- Mohamed TS. effect of TRX suspension training as a prevention program to avoid the shoulder pain for swimmers. Ovidius University Annals, Series Physical Education & Sport/Science, Movement & Health. 2016;16(2):222-7.
- Linek P, Saulicz E, Myśliwiec A, Wójtowicz M, Wolny T. The effect of specific sling exercises on the functional movement screen score in adolescent volleyball players: a preliminary study. Journal of Human Kinetics. 2016;54(1):83-90.
- Goulet C, Rogowski I. Sling-based exercise for external rotator muscles: effects on shoulder profile in young recreational tennis players. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 2018;27(1):30-6.
- Hibberd EE, Oyama S, Spang JT, Prentice W, Myers JB. Effect of a 6-week strengthening program on shoulder and scapular-stabilizer strength and scapular kinematics in division I collegiate swimmers. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 2012;21(3):253-65.
- Swanik KA, Swanik CB, Lephart SM, Huxel K. The effect of functional training on the incidence of shoulder pain and strength in intercollegiate swimmers. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 2002;11(2):140-54.
- Escamilla RF, Andrews JR. Shoulder muscle recruitment patterns and related biomechanics during upper extremity sports. Sports Medicine. 2009;39(7):569-90.
- Zandi S, Rajabi R, Minoonejad H, Mohseni-Bandpei M. Upper quarter functional stability in female volleyball players with and without anterior shoulder instability, with consideration of arm dominance. Archives of Rehabilitation. 2016;16(4):346-55.
- Maarouf A, Norasteh AA, Daneshmandi H, Ebrahimi Atri A. The Effect of a Corrective Exercise Program Based on Scapula Stability on Scapular Upward Rotation and Scapulohumeral Rhythm in Wheelchair Basketball Athletes With Bilateral Scapula Rotational Syndrome. Archives of Rehabilitation. 2020;21(4):488-507.
- Başkurt Z, Başkurt F, Gelecek N, Özkan MH. The effectiveness of scapular stabilization exercise in the patients with subacromial impingement syndrome. Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation. 2011;24(3):173-9.
- Turgut E, Duzgun I, Baltaci G. Effects of scapular stabilization exercise training on scapular kinematics, disability, and pain in subacromial impingement: a randomized controlled trial. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2017;98(10):1915-23. e3.
- Hovanloo F, Salarvand H, Barati AH. Effect of six weeks of suspension exercise (TRX) on the rotator cuf muscles strength and shoulder joint proprioception in girl swimmers: study in prevention of shoulder impingement syndrome. Journal for Research in Sport Rehabilitation. 2021;8(16):101-11.